Who Was Nelson Mandela?
Nelson Mandela Biography: Nelson Mandela was the first black nationalist, anti-apartheid activist president of South Africa. Nelson Mandela is a hero of the struggle against apartheid and for nonracial democracy.
- Born: July 18, 1918
- Birthplace: Mvezo, Umtatu, South Africa
- Generation: Greatest Generation
- Chinese Zodiac: Horse
- Star Sign: Cancer
- Died: December 5, 2013 (aged 95)
- Cause of Death: Lung infection
Nelson Mandela Early Life
Nelson Mandela is known as the father of modern South Africa. Nelson Mandela was born on 18 July 1918, in the tiny village of Mvezo. 18 July is also known as Mandela Day. Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist and politician who served 27 years in prison. In the year 1990, after being freed, he became the first black President of his country.
For his activism, Mandela received more than 250 honours, including the Nobel Peace Prize 1993, the US Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Soviet Order of Lenin.
Election and President of South Africa
In 1944, Presidential elections were about to take place in South Africa, and black people could also participate in this election.
Nelson participated in the election and won the elections with an overwhelming majority.
After winning the election, Nelson formed a government with his party and Nelson of South Africa was the first black president.
After becoming president, Nelson had completely abolished the color discrimination policy and made equal facilities and rights for all.
Know some facts about Nelson Mandela
- Nelson Mandela was given another name at birth. He was named, ‘Rolilhalha’. This name means pulling a tree branch or a nuisance. His teacher gave him the name Nelson on the first day of his school. This was the 1920s and at this time English names were given to African children so that British rulers could pronounce the names easily.
- Mandela has the distinction of becoming South Africa’s first black lawyer who attained lawyer status after attending law school.
- After retiring from politics, Mandela established the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The Foundation helps build schools in rural areas, develop villages and fight HIV AIDS.
- Nelson Mandela has received the honors from more than 50 universities of the world.
- It is said that Nelson Mandela was getting married at the age of 23, leaving which he fled to a city called Johannesburg.
- Nelson Mandela’s Hobby was ‘Boxing’.
- Mandela also did a cameo in Spike Lee’s film. In this film, he played the role of a teacher. The film was ‘Malcom X’.
- Mandela married Grassa Makel, the first lady of Mozambique. At the time of marriage, Mandela was 80 years old.
Death of Nelson Mandela
Mandel passed away on 5 December 2013 of a lung infection at his home in Johannesburg. He was 95 years old.
Awards Of Nelson Mandela
- In 1986, W E B DuBois International Medal with Awarded.
- In 1993, Nobel Peace Prize with Awarded.
- In 1990, Bharat Ratna with Awarded.
- In 2002, Presidential Medal of Freedom with Awarded.
- In 1998, Congressional Gold Medal with Awarded.
- In 1992, Nishan-e-Pakistan with Awarded.
- In 2001, Gandhi Peace Prize with Awarded.
- In 1979, Jawaharlal Nehru Awarded.
- In 1990, Lenin Peace Prize with Awarded.
- In 1988, Sakharov Prize with Awarded.
- In 1993, Philadelphia Liberty Medal with Awarded.
- In 1988, United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights with Awarded.
- In 2002, Golden Jubilee Medal Awarded.
- In 1992, Isitwalandwe/Seaparankoe with Awarded.
- In 1997, Order of the Nile with Awarded.
- In 1989, Al-Gaddafi International Prize Awarded.
- In 1993, Fulbright Prize with Awarded.
- In 1992, Princess of Asturias Award for International Cooperation with Awarded.
- In 1996, World Citizenship Award with Awarded.
- In 1984, Freedom of the City of Aberdeen with Awarded.
- In 1981, Bruno Kreisky Prize for Services to Human Rights with Awarded.
- In 1999, Gandhi–King Award with Awarded.
- In 1983, International Simón Bolívar Prize with Awarded.
- In 2004, Bambi – Honorary Prize of the Jury with Awarded.
- In 1996, U Thant Peace Award with Awarded.
- In 2014, The BET Honors Champion of Humanity Award with Awarded.
- In 2006, Giuseppe Motta Medal for Support for Peace and Democracy with Awarded.
- In 1995, Harvard Business School Statesman of the Year Award with Awarded.
- In 1996, Indira Gandhi Award with Awarded.
- In 1991, Carter–Menil Human Rights Prize with Awarded.
- In 1994, Bishop John T. Walker Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award with Awarded.