According to World Health Organization (WHO) observes World Health Day on 7 April every year. The contribution of doctors, nurses and other health workers is acknowledged on this day.
World Health Day 2020: Date
World Health Day is celebrated to spread awareness about the importance of health. In 1950 the first World Health Day was celebrated. The main focus of WHO is ‘Universal Healthcare’ to put into place strategies that healthcare accessible to different regions of the world.
World Health Day 2020: Theme
2020 is the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife, and WHO wants to highlight the significant roles which these two play in making the world a better place. “World Health Day 2020 Tagline is Support Nurses and Midwives” to honour the 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
Themes of World Health Day
- 2006: “Working Together For Health”.
- 2007: “Invest in Health; Build a Safer Future”.
- 2008: It was “Protecting Health from Climate Change”.
- 2009: “Hospital in Hartford”.
- 2010: “Urbanization and Health” focused on ‘1000 cities, 1000 lives’ of urban health champions.
- 2011: the focus on dangerous, highly-resistant microorganisms was titled, “Antimicrobial Resistance and Its Global Spread”. In addition, they introduced six-point policy package to combat this menace.
- 2012: Slogan “Good Health Adds Life to Years” marked the focus on Ageing and Health.
- 2013: WHO focused on raising awareness of the causes and consequences of high blood pressure. Furthermore, they encouraged healthy behavior to mitigate HBP.
- 2014: “Small Bite, Big Threat”, put the spotlight on mosquitoes, sandflies, bugs, ticks, leeches, and snails.
- 2015: WHO promoted “Food Safety” (from food containing harmful bacteria, parasites, viruses or chemicals).
- 2016: WHO concentrated on diabetes: a largely preventable and treatable, non-communicable disease that is on the rise.
- 2017: “Depression: Let’s Talk”.
- 2018: “Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere”.
- 2019: “Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere”.
- 2020: “Support nurses and midwives”.
World Health Day: History
World Health Day marks the anniversary of the World Health Organisation which was founded in 1948. Therefore, in 1948 in Geneva, the World Health Assembly was held for the first time and it was decided to celebrate annually on 7th April as World Health Day. On this day, by WHO variety of events with a particular theme are organised at the international and national level.
Importance of World Health Day
WHO started the World Health Day campaign in 1950 with the motive of promoting awareness about physical and mental health and offer the necessary support.
The day is one of eight official global health campaigns marked by World Health Organisation (WHO), along with World Tuberculosis Day, World Immunization Week, World Malaria Day, World No Tobacco Day, World AIDS Day, World Blood Donor Day, and World Hepatitis Day.