Miss World 2019 was the 69th edition of the contest and contestants from 120 countries competed for the title of Miss World.
The opening ceremony of Miss World 2019 was held in London on November 20. After competing in several fast-track events, 10 were selected for the finals.
Tony-Ann Singh of Jamaica was announced as the winner of the Miss World 2019 beauty pageant held at the ExCeL London on December 14. She was crowned by her predecessor – Vanessa Ponce de Leon former Miss World 2018 from Mexico crowns Miss World 2019 to Miss Jamaica Toni-Ann Singh during the the Miss World Final 2019. Ophely Mezino of France and Suman Rao of India were the first and second runners up of the beauty pageant respectively.
Rajasthan’s Suman Rao, 20, won the Miss India 2019 contest in June. She aspires to be an actor and has been busy over the past few months with several modelling assignments and studies. While speaking to news agency IANS after her Miss India win, Suman had said that she aims to strike an important conversation on gender equality in her community, as well as globally.
Some of the contestants who competed for the title are Daniella Lundqvist from Sweden, Lucy Brock from New Zealand, Milena Sadowska from Poland, Bhasha Mukherjee from England, Naomi Colford from Canada, Malika Sera from Japan and Emmy Cuvelier from the US.
The top five contestants (L-R) Miss Jamaica Toni-Ann Singh, Miss India Suman Ratansingh Rao, Miss Brazil Elis Coelho, Miss France Ophely Mezino and Miss Nigeria Nyekachi Douglas, participated in the final question-and-answer round. British broadcaster Piers Morgan appeared as the head judge at the event and asked the finalists to answer the questions.
Miss World 2019: Toni-Ann Singh – 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Toni-Ann Singh Was Born in St. Thomas & Migrated to the United States with her parents at Age of 9, and has since lived in Florida.
- Toni-Ann Singh has a Women’s Studies Degree from Florida State University, where she earned a degree in psychology and women’s studies.
- Toni-Ann Singh was encouraged to enter the Miss Jamaica Pageant by former winner Terri-Karelle Reid
- Toni-Ann Singh has considered a career as a Professional singer.
- Toni-Ann Singh is the fourth contestant from Jamaica to win the title of Miss World. The other three are Carol Joan Crawford, Cindy Breakspear and Lisa Hanna; who walked away with the Miss World crown in year 1962, 1976 and 1993 respectively.