April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 April:
- 1748: The ruins of Pompeii are discovered by the Spanish Roque Joaquin de Alcubier.
- 1778: New Orleans businessman Oliver Pollock embodies “$”.
- 1826: Samuel Mori patented an internal combustion engine.
- 1829: Vicente Guerrero becomes President of Mexico
- 1833: 16 legislatures from 18 Mexican states elected General Antonio López de Santa Anna as President of Mexico.
- 1850: SF county government was established.
- 1852: Second Anglo-Burma War begins.
- 1854: Hard Times begins serialization of Charles Dickens magazine in domestic terms.
- 1863: Wartime recruitment law was put into effect in America for the first time.
- 1867: International exhibition opened in Paris.
- 1868: Hampton General and Agricultural Institute was established in the Hamptons of Virginia.
- 1886: In America, a strike was organized to schedule time for workers, after which May 01 was declared as International Labor Day.
- 1893: Established in the United States as Navy Chief Patty Officer.
- 1897: Indian spiritual master Swami Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission.His real name was Narendra Nath Dutt.
- 1936: Orissa state of India was established, which was earlier known as Kalinga or Utkal.
- 1946: Singapore becomes a Crown Colony.
- 1949: Tokyo Stock Exchange established.
- 1956: Polio vaccine developed by American medical researcher and virologist Jonas Salk was made available to the public.
- 1958: BBC Radiophonic Workshop established.
- 1960: Separation of the two states of India, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- 1970: American Motors Corporation introduces Gremlin.
- 1972: The country’s coal mines were nationalized.
- 1976: Apple computer company formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.
- 1996: New Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, the world’s largest bank formed by the merger of Bank of Tokyo and Mitsubishi Bank, commences its operations.
- 1996: Halifax City is made a regional municipality in Nova Scotia.
- 1997: Martina Hingis of Switzerland became the youngest number one female player in tennis history.
- 1999: Miraya Moschoso is appointed the first female President of Panama.
- 2001: The Netherlands becomes the first country in the world to enact a gay marriage law.
- 2004: Marek Belka becomes the new Prime Minister of Poland.
- 2005: 285 political prisoners are released along with the captive Girija Prasad Koirala after the Emergency was imposed in Nepal.
- 2006: 19 people killed in a plane crash in Rio de Janeiro.
- 2009: Gay marriage is recognized in Sweden.
- 2011: The mastermind of the September 2001 attack on the US, confirmed by the assassination of Asama bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan.