April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 02 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 02. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 02 April:
- 1559: Jews expelled from Genoa region of Italy.
- 1679: Mughal ruler Akbar abolished Jiziya tax.
- 1720: Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath passed away.
- 1745: Austria and Bavaria sign peace treaty.
- 1767: The Society of Jesus is oppressed in the Spanish Empire and the Kingdom of Naples.
- 1787: A charter of the judiciary signed granting authority to establish the first New South Wales Courts of criminal and civil jurisdiction.
- 1792: Coinage law is passed, the United States Mint is established.
- 1801: First Battle of Copenhagen (Second Alliance War): The United Kingdom’s Royal Navy royal Dano-Norwegian Navy under Admiral Sir Hyde Parker is forced to accept an armistice.Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson leads the main attack and deliberately instructed his commander to withdraw the army.
- 1860: First Italian Parliament meeting begins in Turin.
- 1902: The first electric movie theater opened in Los Angeles, USA.
- 1912: Sea trials of Titanic ship begin.
- 1933: Indian cricketer Prince Ranjit Singhji dies in Jamnagar, Gujarat.
- 1935: Robert Watson-Watt of Great Britain designed the first practical radar system.
- 1940: Britain and Denmark sign a trade agreement.
- 1941: German and Italian forces show the British a way out of the city of Ajdabiya.
- 1942: Congress rejects Cripps mission proposal.
- 1984: Squadron Leader Rakesh Sharma became the first Indian astronaut to go to space under Mission Soyuz T-11.
- 1989: Yasser Arafat, leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization, elected President of Palestine.
- 1995: Four people were killed in an explosion in Gaza, including Hamas leaders.
- 1997: Sumita Sinha sets a record by allowing her to cross a truck weighing over 3200 kg.
- 2001: 35 police officers killed by Maoist rebels in Nepal.
- 2007: A powerful tsunami struck the Solomon Islands.
- 2011: Indian cricket team won the ICC World Cup 2011 by defeating Sri Lanka in the final match held at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.
- 2013: 13 children were burnt to death in a fiery fire inside a mosque in Burma’s Yangon city.
- 2015: 140 people are killed in a gun attack at Garissa University, Kenya.
- 2015: 140 people were killed in a gun attack on Garissa College in Kenya.