April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 05 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 05. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 05 April:
- 1722: Yakub Roggin discovers Easter Island.
- 1762: The British seize Granada and the West Indies from France and capture them.
- 1764: The Chinese Act was passed in Great Britain.
- 1768: First American Chamber of Commerce is established.
- 1795: Peace of Basel signed between France and Prussia.
- 1811: Revolutionary riots begin in Buenos Aires.
- 1913: Football Federation is formed in the United States.
- 1927: Prohibition Bureau established as part of the United States Treasury Department.
- 1930: Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation, reached Dandi with his followers to break the salt law.
- 1955: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill resigns.
- 1961: The first “Indian Drugs and Pharmaceutical Limited Company” sponsored by the Government of India is established.
- 1964: The Navy celebrated National Maritime Day for the first time.
- 1966: Indonesian forces demand, countries rejoin United States.
- 1974: Stephen King published his first novel “Carrie”.
- 1975: King of Saudi Arabia Faizal is assassinated.
- 1979: The first Indian Naval Museum was formally launched in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- 1991: The spacecraft STS 37 (Atlantis 8) was launched.
- 1999: Announcement of ban on Viagra in Iraq, start of mass killing of 8 lakh 30 thousand pigs in Malaysia to prevent virus called ‘Hendra’.
- 2002: India, Myanmar and Thailand agreed to complete the More-Kalawa-Mandalay road project.
- 2008: Parvati Omnakuttan Femina Miss India World.
- 2009: 44th Academy of Country Music Award: Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley won.
- 2010: 22 people died in an explosion at a coal mine in the US state of West Virginia.
- 2015: American actress Julia Wilson passed away.