April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 April:
- 1606: Prince Khusro rebelled against his father, the Mughal ruler Jahangir.
- 1724: Thomas Pelham-Holls was made British Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- 1727: Denmark signs the Treaty of Hannover.
- 1757: British King George II rejects the minister (Secretary of State for Southern Department) William Pitt the Elder.
- 1808: John Jacob Astor incorporated the American Fur Company.
- 1830: Joseph Smith and 5 others organize the Mormon Church in Seneca, New York.
- 1841: President John Tyler was sworn in.
- 1859: US recognizes Liberal government in Mexico war for reform.
- 1889: George Eastman starts selling the Kodak film for the first time.
- 1896: The first modern Olympic Games begin in Athens, Greece.
- 1909: American citizens Robert Pieri and Matthew Hansen claim to have reached the North Pole for the first time.
- 1917: During World War I America declared war against Germany.
- 1917: The United States declares war with Germany.
- 1930: Mahatma Gandhi launched the Civil Disobedience Movement to emphasize the demand of his independent India.
- 1942: Japanese fighter jets bombed Indian territories for the first time.
- 1943: The Battle of Wadi Aktit begins in Tunisia.
- 1959: 31st Academy Awards ceremony held.
- 1966: Indian swimmer Mihir Sen swam across the Palk Strait.
- 1979: Students protest in Nepal.
- 1985: World famous artist Mark Shagall, contemporary of Pablo Picasso, dies in Paris.
- 1992: Barney and his friends first aired on the PBS network.
- 1998: Pakistan tests medium range missiles capable of killing India.
- 1999: Announces re-running of Indian currency notes of 500 rupees in Nepal.
- 2000: A Karachi court sentenced Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to life imprisonment for terrorism and hijacking.
- 2005: Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani was elected the new President of Iraq.
- 2007: Death of Bangla writer Leela Majumdar.
- 2009: A 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Italy kills 253 people.
- 2013: During the election campaign in Bakuba, Iraq, 22 people were killed and 60 others were injured in a suicide bombing.