April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 07 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 07. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 07 April:
- 1509: France declares war against Venice.
- 1712: Slave rebellion in New York kills six whites and injures 21 African Americans.
- 1818: Brooks Brothers, the oldest clothing merchants in the United States, opened their first store on the northeast corner of Catherine and Cherry Streets in New York City.
- 1819: The Governor of Livonia rescues his peasants from the slaves of the Russian Empire.
- 1843: The East India Company removed the legal support for slavery from the Indian Slavery Act 1843.
- 1856: Nelson College was established in New Zealand.
- 1920: Birth of famous sitarist Ravi Shankar in Benares.
- 1921: Revolutionary leader Sanayat Sen becomes the first President of the Chinese Republic.
- 1928: Harold Lloyd silent comedy film Speedy is released.
- 1946: Syria gets independence from France.
- 1947: Arab Bath Party established in Damascus.
- 1948: United Nations formed the World Health Organization.
- 1948: 20 Buddhist monks died in a fire at a Buddhist monastery in Shanghai.
- 1981: An explosion in a grain elevator in the city of Corpus Christi, Texas, killed 9 people and injured 30.
- 1994: Rwanda President Juvenal Heyvarimana and Burundi President Cipriani Ntayamita died in a rocket attack at Kigali Airport.
- 1998: World Health Organization declaration to celebrate World Health Day as Women’s Medical Day.
- 2000: Starts publication of ‘Your Honor’, the world’s smallest newspaper from Brazil.
- 2001: China meets President Bush’s Indian Defense Minister Jaswant Singh, contrary to protocol, Defense NASA Agreement between USA and India to apologize rather than regret to USA, NASA’s Odyssey vehicle departs for Mars .
- 2006: 79 people killed in a bombing in Baghdad.
- 2012: 130 Pakistani soldiers killed by landslide in Siachen.
- 2012: Joyce Banda becomes President of Malawi.
- 2015: American actor Geoffrey Lewis passed away.