April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 09 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 09. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 09 April:
- 1669: Mughal emperor Aurangzeb ordered the demolition of all Hindu schools and temples.
- 1756: Nawab Ali Vardi Khan of Bengal died at the age of 80.
- 1860: Man’s voice marked for the first time.
- 1937: The first Japanese aircraft to fly from Japan to Europe is built.
- 1957: Egypt reopens the Suez Canal for trade.
- 1961: Joseph Gand gets status as the first original Roman Catholic priest in Sierra Leone.
- 1963: British politician Sir Winston Churchill became an honorary citizen of the United States.
- 1965: The Indo-Pak war broke out in the Kutch run.
- 1965: West German Parliament extends the statute of limitations on Nazi war crimes.
- 1972: The Soviet Union and Iraq sign the Treaty of Friendship.
- 1988: Li Peng became the Prime Minister of China.
- 1989: Asia’s first fully underground Sanjay hydroelectric project was started.
- 1998: More than 150 passengers died in a stampede near Mina in Saudi Arabia.
- 1999: Assassination of Niger President Ibrahim Bare Mansara.
- 1999: Niger president Ibrahim Bar Mensara is assassinated.
- 2002: Women are allowed to participate in the corporation elections in Bahrain.
- 2004: The Supreme Court of Portugal requested for a re-review of the extradition order of Abu Salem, the wanted mafia kingpin in several criminal cases in India.
- 2005: Marriage of Crown Prince Charles of the UK to Camilla.
- 2006: Confirmation of Saturn-like ring around Uranus planet.
- 2013: French Senate approves a gay marriage bill.
- 2013: French Senate approves a bill for gay marriage.