April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 11 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 11. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 11 April:
- 1713: The Second Treaty of Utrecht between Britain and France ended the War of Spanish Succession. And France ceded Newfoundland, Acadia, Hudson Bay and St.Kitts to Britain.
- 1827: The great thinker of India, social worker and revolutionary Jyotiba Phule was born.
- 1869: Kasturba Gandhi, wife of Mahatma Gandhi, was born.
- 1881: Spelmann College was established.
- 1887: Birth of renowned painter Jaimini Roy.
- 1914: Alpha Ro Chi, a professional architecture brother, founded the Hotel Sherman in Chicago.
- 1915: Charlie Chaplin’s film The Trump is released.
- 1919: International Labor Organization is established.
- 1924: First Men’s College Swimming Championship started.
- 1930: Laxman swing made of steel wires was opened to the public in Rishikesh.
- 1951: Birth of theater and television actress Rohini Hattangadi in Pune.
- 1970: US launches Apollo 13 program for the moon campaign.
- 1977: Writer Phaniswanath Renu died.
- 1999: Agni 2 missile tested.
- 2002: 21 killed in Tunisia by al Qaeda due to Garibah synagogue bombings.
- 2003: Pakistan won the Sharjah Cup for the 12th time.
- 2007: Two bombings in the Algerian capital killed 33 people and injured 222 people.
- 2008: Scientists in Sweden discovered an eight thousand year old tree.
- 2011: Indian-American writer Jhumpa Lahiri was given the Pulitzer Prize for her debut work ‘Interpreter of Melladies’.
- 2011: At least 15 killed and 200 people injured in Belarus’s Minsk metro bombings.