April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 14 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 14. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 14 April:
- 1563: Birth of the tenth Sikh Guru Arjun Dev.
- 1659: Aurangzeb defeated Dara in the Battle of Delhi.
- 1736: Private riots erupt in Edinburgh after the execution of smuggler Andrew Wilson, when city guard Captain John Porteus orders his men to fire on the mob. Portree was later arrested.
- 1775: The first genealogical organization was organized in Philadelphia, USA.
- 1834: The Whig Party is officially nominated by United States Senator Henry Clay.
- 1849: The Hungarian Revolution of 1848: Independence in the Hungarian Revolutionary Parliament Debrecen declared the Habsburg Empire.
- 1865: The assassination of Abraham Lincoln: President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln was shot.
- 1871: Canada set currency denominations in the form of dollars, cents, and mills.
- 1872: San Francisco Bar Association organized.
- 1891: Baba Saheb Bhimrao Ambedkar, the creator of the Indian Constitution, was born.
- 1900: Paris World Exhibition opens.
- 1916: The Imperial German Army established the High Commissioner for Coastal Defense to protect the North Coast from attack.
- 1944: The ship of arms explodes in the port of Mumbai, killing more than 1200 people.
- 1954: Aishurin Bevan resigns from the “shadow cabinet” of the British Labor Party.
- 1962: Death of famous Indian engineer M. Vishweshwaraiah, awarded with Bharat Ratna.
- 1980: Iron Maiden’s first self-titled album Iron Maiden is published.
- 1981: First spacecraft Columbia-1 returned to Earth.
- 1999: Anarch Ibrahim, the deposed Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, sentenced to six years in prison for corruption.
- 2000: Russia’s Parliament ratifies the ‘START-2’ Nuclear Arms Reduction Treaty between the United States and Russia.
- 2003: Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon agrees to remove some ghettos from the West Bank.
- 2005: India and the United States enter into a historic agreement to open their flight fields to each other’s airlines.
- 2006: First Buddhist World Conference begins in China.
- 2010: A 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck in Kiggai, China, killing about 2700 people in this disaster.
- 2013: 20 killed in a terrorist attack in Mogadishu, Somalia.