April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 15 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 15. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 15 April:
- 1469: Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, was born.
- 1715: The Yakay War in South Carolina begins with the Pokolago Massacre.
- 1716: Great Northern War: Prussian troops occupy the port of Wismar, German control of Sweden.
- 1726: Newton William reveals his theory of gravity to the Supreme P Isaac Stackley.
- 1729: “St. Matthew Passion” inaugurated in the city of Leipzig, Johann Sebastian Bach.
- 1755: Samuel Johnson’s “A Dictionary of the English Language” was published in London.
- 1817: First school in America opened for deaf children.
- 1820: King William-I of Württemberg marries his cousin Pauline Therese in Stuttgart.
- 1840: King’s College Hospital opened in London.
- 1847: Lawrence School Sanwar was established.
- 1858: Battle of Azimghur, defeated Mexican Spanish.
- 1877: The University of Tokyo is officially established in Japan.
- 1892: General Electric Company established in New York.
- 1922: The great Poodle Dog restaurant closed in San Francisco.
- 1923: Insulin became available in the market for people suffering from diabetes.
- 1927: Switzerland and the then Soviet Union agree to build diplomatic relations.
- 1966: The painter Nandlal Bose died.
- 1994: After the establishment of the World Trade Organization, 123 countries signed its agreement.
- 1998: Death of Frederick Lange, famous as Thampi Guru.
- 1999: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and her husband Asif Ali Zardari sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on charges of taking brokerage in government contracts.
- 2002: China’s plane crashes in South Keria, 128 dead.
- 2004: LTTE militant V. Muralitharan linked to the Rajiv Gandhi assassination was murdered in Colombo.
- 2012: 400 terrorists escape after an attack on a Pakistani prison.
- 2013: Nicolas Maduro becomes the President of Venezuela.