April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19 April:
- 1451: Bahlol Khan Lodi captured Delhi.
- 1719: In Louisiana (New France), Bienville’s brother arrives to take part in the French War, followed by a war between France and Spain (from December 1718).
- 1770: Captain James Cook becomes the first Western man to reach Australia.
- 1775: Beginning of the American Revolution.
- 1837: Cheyenne University was established as a Colored Youth Institute.
- 1839: The Treaty of London created Belgium an independent empire and constituted Luxembourg as a Grand Duchy.
- 1882: Death of renowned zoologist Charles Darwin.
- 1897: The first Boston Marathon was held with fifteen men competing, with John McDermott winning.
- 1910: Heli Puchal star was first seen with open eyes.
- 1919: Leslie Irwin of America jumps parachute for the first time.
- 1920: Germany and Bolshevists agree to release Russian prisoners of war.
- 1933: Les Pauson wins the Boston Marathon.
- 1934: Dave Comanon wins the Boston Marathon.
- 1948: Chiang Kai-shek becomes President of China.
- 1956: American actress Grace Kelly married Rainier III to Prince Monaco.
- 1972: Bangladesh became a member of the Commonwealth.
- 1975: Aryabhata, the first Indian satellite was launched with the help of erstwhile Soviet Russia.
- 2003: China’s female weightlifter Bang Ming Chien sets a world record.
- 2005: Cardinal Yosif Ransinger of Germany is elected the new Pope of the Roman Catholic Church.
- 2006: First astronaut Neil Armstrong is presented with a moon piece brought by him.
- 2007: The Wizard of ID series cartoonist Brand Parker passes away.
- 2011: Former Cuban President Fidel Castro resigned after remaining in the Communist Party of Cuba’s Central Committee for 45 years.