April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 22. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22 April:
- 1500: Portuguese sailor Pedro Alware Cabral discovers Brazil.
- 1728: Perrier de Marvix ” Le Triomphe de Plutus inaugurated in Paris.
- 1769: Madame du Barry becomes King Louis XV’s “official” mistress.
- 1792: US President George Washington declares American neutrality in the War of Europe.
- 1793: Neutrality declaration signed by George Washington.
- 1884: Thomas Stevens begins the first bike trip around the world.
- 1895: Gongche Shangshu Movement:603 candidates signed a 10,000-word petition against the Treaty of Shimonoseki.
- 1898: US President McKinley Cuba orders blockade of ports.
- 1915: In the First World War, the German army used poisonous gas chlorine for the first time.
- 1921: Freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose resigned from the Indian Civil Service job to serve the country.
- 1954: The then Soviet Russia joined UNESCO.
- 1958: Admiral RD Katari became the first chief in the Indian Navy.
- 1970: Millions of Americans celebrated Earth Day for the first time with the goal of saving the trees and animals on Earth and raising the awareness of the environment around the world.
- 1977: Optical fiber was first used in telephone traffic.
- 1983: The spacecraft Soyuz T-8 returned to Earth.
- 1991: Social Democratic Party of Albania is founded.
- 1992: About 200 people killed in sewer gas explosion in Mexico.
- 1997: Haushe Khemisi massacre: 93 villagers killed in Algeria.
- 2004: 150 people were killed when two fuel trains Ryongchun collided in North Korea.
- 2005: Second Asian-African Conference begins after 50 years in Bandung (Indonesia).
- 2008: Russian President Vladimir Putin was awarded the Ludwig Nobel Prize.
- 2008: Surgeons at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, corrected two blind patients using the first bionic eye.