April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24 April:
- 1800: Washington, D.C.Congress in the US Library was established.
- 1858: Death of freedom fighter Kunwar Singh.
- 1877: Russia declares battle against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1888: Kodak Company was founded by George Eastman.
- 1915: The German army releases chloroform gas in the Ieper area of Flemis province, Belgium.
- 1938: Costantine Pats becomes the first President of Estonia.
- 1951: More than 100 people died in a train fire in Yokohama, Japan.
- 1960: 500 dead due to earthquake in southern Iran.
- 1972: Renowned painter Gemini Roy dies.
- 1973: Birth of Indian cricketer master blaster Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar in Mumbai.
- 1974: Death of the famous poet Ramdhari Singh Dinkar.
- 2002: Bank closed indefinitely in Argentina.
- 2006: Parliament restored in Nepal.
- 2008: Maoist leader Pushpakmal Dahal alias Prachanda, who is going to form new government in Nepal, announced the end of the 1950 treaty between India and Nepal.
- 2013: 256 people were killed and over 1000 injured as a building collapsed in Savar Upanzila, Bangladesh.