April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 26. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 26 April:
- 1654: Jews are expelled from Brazil.
- 1804: Henry Eddington resigns as Prime Minister of Great Britain
- 1828: The Commerce and Navigation Treaty is signed between Brazil and Denmark, allowing diplomatic relations to be established between the two countries.
- 1841: The Bombay Gadget newspaper was first published on silk cloth.
- 1890: Henry Morton Stanley is inaugurated in London.
- 1903: Atletico Madrid became famous as Spain’s professional football club.
- 1920: Ramanujam, the great Indian mathematician, died.
- 1920: Renowned Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan dies in Chennai.
- 1928: The Madame Tussauds exhibition, famous for wax sculptures, was shown in London.
- 1942: 1,549 people killed in a coal mine in Honkeko, Manchuria, China.
- 1966: Tashkent city of Uzbekistan was completely destroyed by the 7.5 magnitude earthquake.
- 1975: A bill was passed in Parliament to give statehood to Sikkim, which came into effect from 16 May.
- 1989: Zad ibn Shekhar was elected as the Prime Minister of JD al-Rifai.
- 1990: A 6.9 magnitude earthquake kills 126 people in China.
- 1990: VRP Menon set a world record by performing disco dance for 463 hours in a row.
- 1993: 56 people were killed when a Boeing-737 aircraft crashed in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- 1994: Taiwan Airbus A-300 crash in Nagoya, Japan, killing 262 people.
- 1999: Death of former Prime Minister of Nepal and President of Nepali Communist Party Manmohan Adhikari.
- 2007: Japanese company Sony set a business target of $ 2 billion in India by the year 2010.
- 2013: 30 people were killed in a Taliban attack on a bus in southern Afghanistan.