April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27 April:
- 1526: The Mughal ruler Babur defeated the Sultan of Delhi and became the new emperor.
- 1662: Netherlands and France sign military treaty.
- 1748: Mughal ruler Muhammad Shah died in Delhi.
- 1749: George Friedrich Handel’s first fireworks musical performance begins in Green Park, London.
- 1773: The British Parliament passed the Tea Act.
- 1807: French army captured Danzig after a 6-week siege.
- 1810: Ludwig Forest Beethoven produced his famous piano “Fur Ellis”.
- 1870: Antonio Guzman Blanco begins his first term as President of Venezuela.
- 1878: University of Calcutta gave first approval to women for eligibility in the field of university education.
- 1941: German army occupies Athens (Greece).
- 1942: 100 people died in a storm in the US state of Oklahoma.
- 1960: Establishment of National Defense College in New Delhi.
- 1961: US space agency NASA launched ‘Explorer 11’ in Earth’s orbit to study gamma rays.
- 1999: UNESCO announces a new award in the name of a Korean folk singer.
- 2005: A-380, the world’s largest Airbus-built aircraft in Toulouse (France), made its first test flight.
- 2006: Launched at the Freedom Tower for the new World Trade Center in New York City.
- 2008: 55 people die in a fire in a Moroccan mattress factory.
- 2011: US President Barack Obama publicly issued a copy of the birth certificate following a dispute over his birth.
- 2012: 27 killed in four blasts in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine.