April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29 April:
- 1236: Iltutmish, a prominent ruler of the slave dynasty, died in the Delhi Sultanate.
- 1639: The foundation of the Red Fort was laid in Delhi.
- 1706: Emperor Joseph I is made king of Cologne and Bavaria.
- 1781: The French fleet remains in Tobago during the American War of Independence.
- 1784: Mozart’s Sonata premiered at B Flat, K454 (Vienna).
- 1805: Rucher Jane Schemelpeninck appointed by Napoleon as Grand Pensioner of the Republic of Batavian.
- 1817: The Rush-Bagot Pact is signed.
- 1848: Birth of renowned painter Raja Ravi Varma.
- 1882: The world’s first trolleybus operation began in Berlin.
- 1903: Landslides in Canada’s Northwest Territory kill 70 people.
- 1939: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose resigned from Congress.
- 1965: Pakistan’s Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission successfully launches its seventh rocket.
- 1991: A cyclone in Chittagong, Bangladesh killed one lakh 38 thousand people and made one million people homeless.
- 1993: Buckingham Palace opened to the public for the first time and was stamped for eight pounds to watch.
- 1997: Ban on chemical weapons implemented.
- 2006: Pakistan tests Htf-6.
- 2010: Indian engineer Harpal Kumar invented a camera that can inspect the stomach of stomach cancer victims in London instead of detecting the disease.
- 2011: British prince Prince William and Kate Middleton are married.