April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 30 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 30. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 30 April:
- 1030: Death of Sultan Mahmud of Ghazni.
- 1598: First theater organized in America.
- 1725: The Treaty of Vienna is signed by Emperor Charles VI of Austria and King Philip V of Spain.
- 1754: Guatemalan Sergeant Mayor Melchor de Mencos y Vron and his army defeated British pirates at the Battle of San Felipe and the Coba Lagoon.
- 1763: Banned Member of Parliament and journalist John Wilkes at the Tower of London, charged with treason and slander.
- 1772: John Clayes receives a patent of the first scale.
- 1789: George Washington is elected the first President of America.
- 1789: George Washington is inaugurated at Federal Hall in New York, beginning his term as the first President of the United States.
- 1794: The Battle of Balluo is fought, in which the French army defeated the Spanish under General Union.
- 1803: Louisiana Purchase made by the United States from France.
- 1812: Louisiana is accepted as the 18th US state.
- 1838: Nicaragua declares independence from the Central American Federation.
- 1864: New York becomes the first state to charge a license fee for hunting.
- 1870: Birth of Dhundiraj Govind Phalke aka Dada Saheb Phalke, known as the father of Indian cinema.
- 1945: German dictator Hitler and his wife Eva Brown commit suicide.
- 1956: Death of former US Vice President and Senator Alben Barkley during a speech in Virginia.
- 1975: Vietnam War ends.
- 1982: Bijan Satu massacre took place in India.
- 2002: A plebiscite was held in Pakistan to increase President Pervez Musharraf’s tenure for the next 5 years.
- 2004: 10 US soldiers killed in violence in Fazula (Iraq).
- 2005: Emergency ends in Nepal, retaining King’s extraordinary rights.
- 2006: The Indian subcontinent hosted the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
- 2007: Blind pilot Miles Hilton sets a record by circling half the world with an aircraft.
- 2010: Hindi film evergreen actor Dev Anand was honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in Mumbai and Pran with the “Phalke Icon” on Friday.
- 2013: Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands stepped down and William Alexander became King of the Netherlands.