August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on August 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 August:
- 1714: Queen George Ludwig becomes King George I of England.
- The comet of 1729: 1729, possibly the largest comet, with the most pronounced magnitude on record, was discovered by Nicholas Sarbut. Joe was a professor of mathematics in Marseille.
- 1732: Bank of England is inaugurated.
- 1770: The Battle of Kagal: 150,000 Turks were eliminated by Russian commander Puert Romintsov.
- 1785: Caroline Herschel becomes Comet’s first female finder.
- 1786: Caroline Herschel discovers a comet (first discovered by a woman).
- 1818: A separate topographical bureau of the United States Department is established.
- 1838: Former slaves in Jamaica are freed from their allies.
- 1855: First ascent on Monte Rosa, the second highest summit held in the Alps.
- 1869: Indian Civil Service officer Harcourt Butler was the first Governor of Uttar Pradesh.
- 1883: Great Britain introduced the Inland Postal Service to give importance to the Postal Service.
- 1883: Inland postal services started in Great Britain.
- 1902: 100 people were killed in a pit explosion in Wollongong city, Australia.
- 1907: Robert Baden-Powell takes first scout camp on Brownsea Island, England.
- 1914: First World War in history was started by Germany and Russia.
- 1914: New York Stock Exchange closed due to war in Europe.
- 1920: National Father Mahatma Gandhi non-violently launched the Non-Cooperation Movement.
- 1924: King Shah Abdullah of Saudi Arabia is born.
- 1946: The Atomic Energy Commission was established in the United States.
- 1957: National Book Institute was established.
- 1960: The old capital of Pakistan was changed from Karachi to Islamabad.
- 1965: Cigarette advertising was banned on British television.
- 1976: The Seattle Seahawks play their first football game.
- 1995: Another moon of Saturn was discovered by the Hubble telescope.
- 1997: Steve Jobs reunites with Macworld, Apple Computer and Inc. in downtown Boston.
- 2000: For the first time in Iran, women were also empowered to make imams in madrasas.
- 2000: Ali Sardar Jafri is a famous poet who was awarded the Jnanpith Award.
- 2005: Saudi King Emperor Fahd bin Abdul Aziz died and the late Emperor’s brother Shahzada Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz was appointed the new ruler of the country.
- 2006: The world’s first earthquake early warning service was launched by Japan.
- 2007: The International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) was held in Hanoi, Vietnam, in which 6 members of the Indian team won three silver medals.
- 2008: India’s Special Monitoring Agreement was flagged by the Board of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1910: Muhammad Nisar, an Indian cricketer, was born.
- 1913: Bhagwan Dada, a famous film actor and film producer-director was born.
- 1924: King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia was born.
- 1932: Meena Kumari, India’s famous Hindi film actress, was born.
- 1939: Famous litterateur Govind Mishra was born.
- 1955: Arun Lal, the former Indian cricketer, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1913: Devkinandan Khatri, the great Hindi writer and the first Tilismi writer died.
- 1920: Bal Gangadhar Tilak, a scholar, mathematician, philosopher and Indian nationalist leader, died.
- 1999: Nirad Chandra Choudhary, a famous Indian-born Bengali and English writer and scholar died.
- 2008: Indian politician Harkishan Singh Surjit died.
- 2000: The famous poet Ali Sardar Jafri, who was awarded the Jnanpith Award, died.