August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on August 03. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 03 August:
- 1704: Gibraltar captures the English fleet of Kallenburah.
- 1803: Second Anglo-Maratha War started against Scindia of British Gwalior.
- 1811: The first ascent of Jungfra was the third highest summit in the Bernani Alps.
- 1860: Second Maori War is launched in New Zealand.
- 1882: US Congress advances the Immigration Act of 1882.
- 1886: Mathalisharan Gupta, a poet of classical compositions like Panchavati, Yashodhara, and Saket, was born in Chirgaon, Jhansi on this day.
- 1892: The first electric light bulb in Bulgaria was used at the Plovdiv Fair.
- 1899: John Marshall Law School was established in Chicago.
- 1900: Firestone Tire & Rubber Company was established.
- 1914: Germany declared war against France during the First World War.
- 1916: On this day, lyricist Shakeel Badauni was born.
- 1938: Eduardo Santos becomes President of Colombia.
- 1957: Abdul Rahman was elected the new leader of Malaysia under whose leadership Malaysia gained independence from Britain. Abdul Rahman, who was educated in Britain, though he came from the royal family, was always called the leader of the common man.
- 1977: The United States Senate hearing was held on Project Mkeltra.
- 1984: American swimmer and Olympic winner Ryan Locte was born.
- 2000: Britain’s ‘Queen Mother’ celebrates its 100th anniversary.
- 2001: The first film, “The Princess Diaries” starring Anne Hathaway, was released.
- 2003: The Anglican Church of America decided to appoint a gay bishop. Jane Robinson of New Hampshire was elected bishop by an overwhelming majority of the House of Deputies of the Episcopal Church.
- 2004: American spacecraft Messenger departs for planet Mercury.
- 2006: The United States states that it will not aid uranium enrichment in India.
- 2007: The Russian spacecraft Progress M61 departed for the International Space Station and successfully reached its orbit.
- 2007: A train accident in the Democratic Republic of Congo kills 100 people.
- 2013: 80 people were killed in a rebellion in Iraq.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1846: Maithili Sharan, an important poet of the Gupta, Khari Boli, was born.
- 1890: Sriprakash, the famous revolutionary of India and the first High Commissioner to Pakistan, was born.
- 1916: Shakeel Badayuni, the Indian lyricist and poet, was born.
- 1928: Yashwant Chittal, a leading Kannada fiction writer, was born.
- 1936: Channulal Mishra, the famous singer of Thumri, was born.
- 1984: Sunil Chhetri, a famous Indian football player who is currently playing for Mohun Bagan AC, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1982: Tribhuvan Narayan Singh, Indian politician and Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh died.
- 1990: C. M. Punacha, freedom fighter, politician and former Governor of Orissa and Madhya Pradesh, died.
- 1993: Swami Chinmayananda, India’s famous spiritual thinker and world-famous scholar of Vedanta philosophy died.