August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 05 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on August 05. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 05 August:
- 1543: French and Turkish forces capture Nice.
- 1662: Scottish historian James Anderson is born.
- 1716: Battle of Petrovadin: 83,300 Austrian soldiers of Prince Eugene of Saloy defeated 150,000 Turks under Silahdadar Damat Ali Pasha (who was killed).
- 1763: Battle of Pontiac: Battle of the Wild Runs – The British Army led by Henry Bouquet defeated the Indians of the main Pontic in the Bush Run.
- 1852: Tallied Indians destroy Fort Selkark, Yukon Territory.
- 1874: Japan introduced a postal savings system on the lines of England.
- 1874: Japan introduced its postal savings system, which was modelled after a similar system in England.
- 1882: Martial law was implemented in Japan.
- 1884: The foundation stone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on the island of Bedelay in New York Harbor.
- 1888: Bertha Benz, the wife of the inventor of the car, who invented the car, travelled 104 kilometres from Mannheim, Germany to Pforzheim, becoming the first person to travel for so long.
- 1891: American Express issues the world’s first traveller’s check.
- 1914: First traffic light was installed in America.
- 1921: Berlin peace deal signed by US and Rzmany.
- 1923: Henry Sullivan becomes the first American to cross the English Channel.
- 1945: American airplanes drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima, Japan.
- 1949: A quake measuring 6.7 in the Ecuadorian capital Quito killed six thousand people.
- 1966: Caesars Palace Hotel and Casino opens in Las Vegas.
- 1975: Bollywood’s famous actress Kajol is born.
- 1991: Justice Leela Seth became the first Indian woman to become the Chief Justice of the High Court.
- 2011: Juno, the first solar powered spacecraft to leave for Jupiter from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, was launched.
- 2016: The 31 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil begin at the Maracana Stadium.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1890: Datto Vaman Potdar, Marathi litterateur and a famous social worker was born.
- 1890: Neil Armstrong, the world’s first astronaut to walk on the moon, was born.
- 1915: Famous poet Shivmangal Singh Suman was born.
- 1947: Viren Dangwal, the famous Hindi poet, was born.
- 1975: Kajol, a Bollywood film actress, was born.
- 1987: Indian actress Genelia D’Souza was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1998: Todar Zhikov, the 36th Prime Minister of Bulgaria, died.
- 1950: Gopinath Bordoloi, India’s famous freedom fighter and the first Chief Minister of Assam died.
- 2000: Lala Amarnath, one of India’s greatest and well-known cricketers, died.
- 2014: Pran Kumar Sharma, the famous cartoonist who created the cartoon character ‘Chacha Chaudhary, passed away.