August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on August 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 August:
- 1180: Emperor Go Toba of Japan is born.
- 1726: Emperor Karel VI and Tasrina Catherine the Great signed the military treaty.
- 1774: Mother Ann Lee, founder of the Shekhar movement, arrives in New York.
- 1806: Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicated, thus ending the Holy Roman Empire after a millennium.
- 1815: The theft by the Tunis and Tripoli by the American Flytilla Algiers ends.
- 1819: Norwich University is established in Vermont by Captain Alden Partridge as the first private military school in the United States.
- 1821: First edition of ‘Courier of Page Bass’ newspaper published in Brussels.
- 1825: Bolivia gained independence from Peru.
- 1862: Madras High Court was established.
- 1906: Leading freedom fighter Chittaranjan Das and other Congress leaders jointly started publication of ‘Vande Mataram’ newspaper.
- 1930: UK Labor Ministry lists 2 lakh unemployed people.
- 1937: National Cancer Institute is established in the United States.
- 1945: The US drops atomic bombs on the city of Hiroshima, Japan.
- 1955: The southern and Antarctic regions of France were created as a foreign territory.
- 1960: Cuba nationalizes all the country’s assets.
- 1962: The Kingdom of the United Kingdom ends in Jamaica and is granted independence.
- 1964: The world’s oldest tree Prometheus (pine tree) was cut for research in Nevada, USA.
- 2008: Entry 31 TV ceases broadcasting in Perth, Western Australia.
- 2010: Around 255 people were killed in flash floods in Jammu and Kashmir.
- 2012: NASA’s Curiosity rover reaches Mars.