August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
What Happened on This Day of History?
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on August 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 August:
- 1509: Maharaja Krishnadeva Raya has crowned Emperor of the Vijay Nagar Empire.
- 1609: The Senate of Venice inspects the telescope prepared by Galileo.
- 1700: Denmark and Sweden sign a peace treaty.
- 1771: The first record city cricket match was played at Horsham in England.
- 1786: The US Congress accepts the silver dollar and the decimal system for currency.
- 1788: For the first time since 1614, King Louis XVI of France agreed in May 1789 to convene the first estate-general meeting.
- 1839: Beta Thita Pi was established in Oxford, Ohio.
- 1864: Red Cross was established in Geneva.
- 1887: Antonio Gazman Blanco Venezuela completes his term as President of France.
- 1899: A.T. Marshall patented the refrigerator.
- 1900: The first Davis Cup series begins in Boston.
- 1940: Arjuna Awardee cricketer Dilip Narayan Sardesai was born in Madgaon, Goa.
- 1942: Indian National Congress passed ‘The quit India Resolution in the Bombay (now Mumbai) session.
- 1947: Pakistan approves its national flag.
- 1950: Florence Chadwick set a 13-hour, 22-minute swim in the English Channel.
- 1959: 20,000 people died in a Taiwan flood.
- 1963: Train robbery in Buckinghamshire, England.
- 1973: South Korean politician Kim Dae-jung was kidnapped by KCIA in Tokyo.
- 1990: Iraq formally declares Kuwait unified.
- 1991: United Nations Security Council approves North and South Korea’s membership.
- 1994: A link connecting Israel and Jordan opens.
- 2013: A suicide attack in Quetta, Pakistan, killed 28 people.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1904: Tribhuvan Narayan Singh, Indian politician and Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh was born.
- 1921: Vulimiri Ramalingaswamy, an Indian medical scientist, was born.
- 1940: Dilip Sardesai, the Indian cricketer, was born.
- 1948: Kapil Sibal, the famous Indian politician, was born.
- 1949: Prasanna Acharya, a member of the twelfth and thirteenth Lok Sabha, was born.
- 1952: Sudhakar Rao, an Indian cricketer, was born.
- 1968: Abey Kuruvilla, an Indian cricketer, was born.