August is the eighth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. August was previously called Augustus Caesar in Latin as it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the eighth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
August was originally Augustus mensis, the sixth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. August 09 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, August has 31 days. It is considered the busiest time for tourism because it falls in the main school summer holiday period.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on August 09. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 09 August:
- 1173: The construction of the leaning tower of Pisa, Italy, one of the seven wonders of the world, began. The construction of this tower took almost two centuries to complete.
- 1329: Pope John 22nd established the first Catholic Synod in Culon, India.
- 1483: The Sistine Chapel of the Vatican opens for prayer.
- 1757: The Seven Years’ War – Battle of Gross-Jjerdorff: A Porschean army under Hans von Lehwald defeated by the Russian army of Marshal Stepan Erpexin.
- 1830: Louis Philippe becomes King of the French.
- 1831: Steam engine trains run for the first time in America.
- 1902: Edward VII is crowned King of the United Kingdom.
- 1910: Alva Fisher obtained a patent for an electric washing machine.
- 1916: Lassen Volcanic National Park is established in California.
- 1925: Under the leadership of revolutionary Ram Prasad Bismil, 10 people broke an iron chest in the guard compartment and escaped with four thousand rupees. This incident is known as Kakori Conspiracy.
- 1942: Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi was arrested along with 50 supporters after giving the slogan ‘Do or Die’ with the Quit India Movement in Mumbai.
- 1942: Freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose established the Indian National Army in Malaya (now Malaysia) with the help of Japan.
- 1942: Ahmad Kawam became the Prime Minister of Iran for the third time.
- 1945: US launches second atomic bomb named Fat on Nagasaki city of Japan.
- 1945: Mongolia declares war with Japan
- 1962: German poet and writer Nobel Prize Hermann Heise died.
- 1974: Vice President Gerald Ford became the 38th President of the United States upon President Nixon’s resignation.
- 1989: Toshiki Kaifu becomes Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1999: Russian President Boris Yeltsin sacked Prime Minister Sergei Stapshin and appointed Intelligence Service chief Vladimir Putin as acting Prime Minister.
- 2008: Malaysia’s cultural minister and MP Mohammed Shafi Ardal, with the support of the Indian delegation, has been elected the new president of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA).