According to Gregory calendar, December 08 is the day number 342 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 343. December 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08th December:
- 1863: 2500 people died in a fire at the Jesuit Church in Santiago, Chili’s capital.
- 1863: 2,500 people died in a fire at the Jesuit Church of La Compana, Santiago, Chile.
- 1881: More than 800 people died in a theater fire in the European country of Austria, Vienna.
- 1900: Pandit Uday Shankar, born dancer and dance director of modern dance of India, was born.
- 1914: The Falkland Water War was fought between Britain and Germany around the islands of the same name in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1923: The Treaty of Friendship was signed between Germany and America.
- 1931: Patented coaxial cable used in telecommunications in the US.
- 1934: Weekly air mail service started between England and Australia.
- 1935: Bollywood veteran actor Dharmendra was born.
- 1941: The US and Britain declared war against Japan.
- 1943: Vera’s war ended in an Allied victory.
- 1960: Hayato Ikada began his second term as Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1967: The first submarine INS Kalwari was inducted into the Indian Navy.
- 1980: Mark David Chapman shot John Lennon outside his apartment in New York City.
- 1982: Colombian writer Gabrielle García Marquez was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- 1987: The leaders of the world’s two superpowers, the United States and the Soviet Union, signed the first treaty that provided for the reduction of land-based nuclear weapons stockpiles.
- 2007: The US-led coalition forces and NATO forces attacked Taliban militants in Musa Kala district, southern Afghanistan.
- 2009: The bombing in Baghdad, Iraq killed 127 people and injured 448.