According to Gregory calendar, December 11 is the day number 345 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 346. December 11 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 11. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 11th December:
- 1618: Peace agreement signed between Russia and Poland.
- 1666: Legendary painter Frenz Helz died at the age of 82.
- 1710: France defeated Hobsburgers.
- 1719: First Aurora Borealis exhibit begins in North American colonies (New England).
- 1789: University of North Carolina, the oldest public university in the United States, founded.
- 1790: Russo-Turkish War (1787–92): 26,000 Turkish soldiers lost their lives during the storm of Alexander Savorov of Izamel.
- 1816: Indiana becomes the 19th state of America.
- 1882: Subramania Bharati, Indian poet and independence activist, born in Ettayapuram, Tirunelveli district, British India (d. 1921)
- 1845: First Anglo-Sikh War: Sikh army crossed the Sutlej River in Punjab.
- 1858: Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay and Yadunath Bose became the first Bachelor of Arts subject from the University of Calcutta.
- 1907: The New Zealand Parliament was completely destroyed by fire.
- 1912: Roland Garces of France set a new record of height of 18,670 feet over Tunis.
- 1922: Dilip Kumar, popularly known as Bollywood actor and Tragedy King, was born in Peshawar, Pakistan.
- 1931: Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, Indian leader of the Rajneesh movement, born in Kuchwada Village, Raisen district, Bhopal State, British India (d. 1990)
- 1935: The current President of the country, Pranab Mukherjee, was born in Birbhum in West Bengal.
- 1944: The Eighth Army of the British marches on Lamon, Italy.
- 1946: Rajendra Prasad was appointed the President of the Constituent Assembly.
- 1964: UNICEF is established. This organization is active in more than 150 countries. Its center is in New York.
- 1967: A magnitude 6.5 earthquake in western India killed 170 people.
- 1987: Test debut of Carl Hooper, WI v India at Bombay
- 1994: Russian army launches invasion of Chechnia, Southwestern Republic of Russia.
- 2007: Rail service resumes after 50 years between North and South Korea.
- 2017: Rahul Gandhi, son of former Prime Minister Rajiv Ghandi, is elected leader of the Indian National Congress