According to Gregory calendar, December 13 is the day number 347 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 348. December 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13th December:
- 1232: Iltutmish, the ruler of the slave dynasty, captured Gwalior.
- 1734: Britain and Russia sign trade agreement.
- 1754: Osman III (1754–1757) made Mahmud I the Ottoman Empire king.
- 1759: First music store opened in America (Philadelphia).
- 1774: The first event of the American Revolution took place.
- 1774: First incident of American Revolution – 400 attacks on FT William and Mary in New Hampshire.
- 1779: Alexander, Vicomte de Beauharnais, married Josephine Taser.
- 1795: Wold Newton Ulkami: A meteorite struck Wold Newton, a village in Yorkshire, England.
- 1843: Basutoland became a British protectorate.
- 1884: Percy Everitt patented the weighing machine by inserting a coin.
- 1916: Avalanche in Tyrol, Austria killed 10,000 Austrian and Italian soldiers in 24 hours.
- 1920: The League of Nations International Court of Justice is established in The Hague, Netherlands.
- 1955: Present Defense Minister of India and former Chief Minister of Goa Manohar Parrikar was born.
- 1959: Arch Vish Vakarios was elected the first President of Cyprus.
- 1960: Venkatesh Daggubati, Indian actor, born in Karamchedu, Andhra Pradesh, India
- 1966: Test debut of Clive Lloyd, v India Bombay, 82 & 78
- 1967: Greece’s King Constantine II leaves the country when his coup attempt fails.
- 1989: Five Kashmiri terrorists were released from jail in exchange for the release of the daughter of Home Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed from the clutches of terrorists.
- 1996: Kofi Annan was elected Secretary General of the United Nations.
- 2000: Former captain of the Indian cricket team, Vijay Samuel Hazare became the first person to receive the ‘Castrol Lifetime Achievement Award’.
- 2001: The world’s largest democracy ‘Indian Parliament’ is attacked by terrorists at 1120 minutes. The terrorists attack on the Indian Parliament killed 15 people, including all terrorists.
- 2002: European Union expanded. Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovakia were included.
- 2008: 57% turnout in 11 assembly segments for fifth phase of Jammu and Kashmir.