According to Gregory calendar, December 18 is the day number 352 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 353. December 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18th December:
- 1271: Mongol emperor Kublai Khan named his empire as Yuan. With this began the Yuan dynasty.
- 1777: National Thanksgiving Day is celebrated for the first time in America.
- 1787: New Jersey becomes the third state in America.
- 1799: The body of the first President of America, George Washington, is buried at Mount Vernon.
- 1839: John Draper of America photographed a celestial body (moon) for the first time.
- 1839: First astronomical photo (Moon) made in America by John Draper.
- 1843: Thomas Graham, Lord Lynedoch, British Viceroy of India (b. 1748)
- 1849: William Bond takes his first photograph of the moon with a telescope.
- 1865: First American animal import law passed.
- 1866: Wooster’s College established in Ohio.
- 1899: Field Marshal Lord Roberts is appointed the first British Supreme Commander in South Africa.
- 1902: Italy’s famous inventor Marconi created the first radio station.
- 1923: International area of Tangier is established in Morocco.
- 1932: Joseph Paul-Boncour becomes Prime Minister of France.
- 1935: Edward Bains becomes President of Czechoslovakia.
- 1945: Uruguay, a South American country, became a member of the United Nations.
- 1949: Joni Flynn, Indian actress (Octopussy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail), born in Assam, India
- 1958: The United States launches SCORE, the world’s first communications satellite.
- 1960: National Museum inaugurated in the capital Delhi.
- 1961: India annexes Portuguese colonies of Goa, Damao & Diu
- 1966: Astronomer Richard Walker discovered Saturn’s satellite Epimetheus.
- 1971: The US dollar depreciated for the second time in history.
- 2006: Elections were held for the first time in the United Arab Emirates.
- 2011: The Iraq war was formally brought to an end with the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.