According to Gregory calendar, December 22 is the day number 356 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 357. December 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 21. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22nd December:
- 1241: Lahore was captured by Bahadur Taul Hulagu Khan, the head of the Mongols.
- 1666: Guru Govind Singh was born.
- 1715: James Edward Stuart reunites the Jacobite rebels in Scotland, but fails to provoke his army.
- 1769: Sino-Burmese War (1765–69) ended with conflict.
- 1790: Supposedly impenetrable Turkish fortress of Izmail stormed and captured by Suvorov and his Russian armies during the Russo-Turkish War (1787–92)
- 1772: The first schoolhouse west of the Moravian missionary Allegheny is built.
- 1807: United States Congress passed sanctions law.
- 1851: The first freight train in the country was run from Roorkee.
- 1855: The Metropolitan Board of Works is established in London.
- 1877: Thomas Edison’s Phonograph is announced by Scientific American
- 1882: First decorated Christmas tree with bulbs made by Thomas Edison.
- 1882: Christmas Christmas lights tree made by Thomas Edison.
- 1886: The first national accountant “society” was formed in America.
- 1887: Srinivasa Ramanujan, Indian mathematician (number theory), born in Erode, British India (d. 1920)
- 1891: ‘323 Brucian’ becomes the first meteorite to be discovered by photography.
- 1910: First US Postal Savings Letter issued.
- 1940: Manvendra Nath Rai announced the establishment of the Radical Democratic Party.
- 1947: Italy votes to accept the new constitution.
- 1956: Britain and France leave the port and continue to withdraw their forces from Egypt after continuing to occupy Egypt’s port of port Said for 50 days.
- 1961: US conducts nuclear test in Nevada.
- 1972: A 6.25 magnitude earthquake in Managua, the capital of Nicaragua, killed more than 12 thousand people.
- 1972: Australia establishes diplomatic relations with China and East Germany.
- 1988: A Pan Am jumbo jet crashes into the city of Lockerbie near the border with Scotland with 258 passengers.
- 2010: US President Barack Obama signed a law related to homosexuality, paving the way for homosexuals in the military
- 2011: “Big Bang Theory” Indian actor Kunal Nayyar (30) weds Miss India 2006 winner Neha Kapur (28) in New Delhi, India