According to Gregory calendar, December 24 is the day number 358 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 359. December 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24th December:
- 1524: Portuguese sailor and explorer Vasco di Gama died in Kochi.
- 1565: Compromise of the Nobles in Habsburg Netherlands closes against inquisition
- 1715: Sweden’s army occupies Norway.
- 1726: The city of Montevideo was founded by the Spaniards.
- 1777: Capt. James Cook discovers Kirimati (Christmas Island).
- 1798: Russia and Britain second anti-French alliance is signed.
- 1814: Treaty of Ghent signed, ending the War of 1812 between the United States, the United Kingdom and their allies
- 1894: First Medical Conference held in Calcutta.
- 1912: Irving Fisher patented the collection system through ‘index cadres’.
- 1921: Rabindranath Tagore founded Vishwa Bharati University in Shanti Niketan.
- 1924: 8 people are killed in a plane crash at Croydon Airfield, London.
- 1932: England great batsman Colin Cowdrey was born in the city of Bengaluru, India. He was the first cricketer in the world to play 100 Tests. He played a total of 114 Tests.
- 1936: For the first time, John Lawrence used radioactive isotope medication on the patient.
- 1936: 1st radioactive isotope medicine administered in Berkeley, California
- 1943: US President FDR appoints General Eisenhower Supreme Commander of the Allied forces
- 1954: Laos is liberated by France.
- 1956: Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor was born. 1964 bombed at the Brinds Hotel in Saigon.
- 1959: Anil Kapoor, Indian producer and actor (Slumdog Millionaire, Taal, Maulana Jutt, Tezaab, Beta), born in Bombay, India
- 1973: E.V. Ramaswamy Naikar died in Vellore, Tamil Nadu.
- 1973: Mohammed Mohammedullah became acting president of Bangladesh.
- 1978: The Soviet Afghan Friendship Treaty was carried out on the pretext.
- 1979: Soviet Union invades Afghanistan. This attack
- 1979: First European Ariane rocket launched.
- 1989: The country’s first amusement park ‘Accel World’ opened in Maharashtra’s capital Mumbai.
- 1990: Ram Sevak Shankar removed as Suriname’s President by a military coup.
- 2000: Famous chess player Vishwanathan Anand becomes world champion.
- 2011: Cuban government announces release of 2900 prisoners.