According to Gregory calendar, December 26 is the day number 360 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 361. December 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 26. Read on to know more about this
List of Important Historical events of 26th December:
- 1492: 1st Spanish settlement La Navidad in the New World is founded by Christopher Columbus (modern Môle-Saint-Nicolas in Haiti)
- 1530: Zahir-ud-din Muhammad Babur, Timurid founder and 1st Emperor of the Mughal dynasty in the Indian Subcontinent (1526-30), dies at 47
- 1606: Shakespeare introduced his popular play King Lear to the court of King James I of England for the first time.
- 1666: Sikhism Guru Gobind Singh was born.
- 1705: Fateh Singh (6) and Zorawar Singh (7), sons of Guru Gobind Singh, are murdered by Wazir Khan for refusing to convert to Islam; they are now among the most hallowed martyrs in Sikhism
- 1736: Andrew Michael Ramsay delivers a speech in which he combines the legacy of Freemasonry and internationalism with the Crusade.
- 1748: France and Austria sign treaty about southern Netherlands.
- 1773: Tea vessels expelled from Philadelphia.
- 1776: George Washington defeated Hessian at the Battle of Trenton in the American Revolutionary War.
- 1792: Trial of French King Louis XVI, court hears the kings defense brought by Raymond Desèze
- 1805: Austria and France sign the Pressburg Confederacy.
- 1805: The peace of Pressburg was signed between France and Austria.
- 1806: In the Battle of Golimein, a successful retaliatory battle was fought against the French army under the Russian Army Marshal Murat under General Golitsin.
- 1809: A British invasion lent the city of Vallasingen.
- 1825: Decembrist uprising in Russia against Tsar Nicholas I begins [O.S. 14 December]
- 1854: Wood-pulp paper displayed for the first time.
- 1890: Signed contract with Uganda’s King Mwanga East Africa Company.
- 1893: Mao Ze Tung, founder and president of the Communist Party, was born in China.
- 1904: The country’s first cross country motorcar rally between Delhi and Mumbai is inaugurated.
- 1906: The world’s first feature film, The Story of the Cali Gang, was released.
- 1933: American engineer Howard Armstrong obtained a patent for FM radio.
- 1978: Former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi was released from prison.
- 1979: The Red Army of the former Soviet Union took control of Afghanistan and began its longest action against an independent country.
- 1982: Time magazine declared computer as ‘man of the year’.
- 1982: Time Magazine’s Award, Man of the Year was awarded for the first time to a non-human, computer.
- 1996: The biggest strike in South Korea’s history began.
- 1999: Shankar Dayal Sharma, Indian politician, ninth President of India (1992-97), dies at 81
- 2004: A tsunami struck by a magnitude 9.3 earthquake on the Richter scale caused massive devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Maldives and surrounding areas, killing 2,30,000 people.
- 2006: Australia’s great leg-spinner Shane Warne made history by taking 700 wickets in international Test cricket.
- 2012: The world’s longest High Speed Railroad, built from Beijing, the capital of China, to the city of Guangzhou, was opened.