According to Gregory calendar, December 29 is the day number 363 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 364. December 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29th December:
- 1530: Humayun, son of Mughal emperor Babur succeeded him.
- 1705: Proper Joyot’s “Yidomano” premiered in Paris.
- 1778: British troops capture Savannah, Georgia.
- 1813: In the War of 1812, British soldiers burned buffaloes in New York.
- 1835: Treaty of New Echota is signed between the US government and representatives of a minority Cherokee political faction to cede all lands of the Cherokee east of the Mississippi River to the United States
- 1845: Texas becomes the 28th state of the US.
- 1858: Northern Railway Company established in Madrid, Spain.
- 1884: Vyomesh Chandra Banerjee, the first president of the Indian National Congress, was born in Kidderpore, Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1903: French Equatorial Africa separates into Gabon, Chad and Ubangi-Shari
- 1911: Sun Yat Sen was declared President of the new Republic of China. The general public and communist activists in China consider him the father of the Republic of China.
- 1917: Ramanand Sagar, the famous Indian film director and producer of the famous serial ‘Ramayana’, was born.
- 1942: Rajesh Khanna, Indian Bollywood actor officially titled “The First Superstar of Indian cinema,” born in Amritsar, Punjab Province (d. 2012)
- 1949: Industries were nationalized in the European country Hungary.
- 1972: 101 people died in the crash of the Eastern Tristar Jumbo jet aircraft near the Everglades in the US state of Florida.
- 1975: The law of equal rights for women and men came into force in Britain.
- 1977: The world’s largest open air theater ‘Drive’ opened in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- 1984: Congress won the parliamentary election with the largest majority in the history of independent India. Telugu Desam emerged as the largest opposition party by winning 28 seats in this election.
- 1988: The Victorian Post Office Museum in Australia closes.
- 1997: Hong Kong begins slaughtering all its chickens to prevent bird flu
- 2003: 50th National Film Awards (India): “Mondo Meyer Upakhyan” wins the Golden Lotus
- 2008: Renowned painter Manjit Baba passed away.
- 2012: 21 security personnel were killed in a terrorist attack near Peshawar in Pakistan.