February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on February 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 February:
- 1587: Queen Elizabeth I of England signs death warrant for her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots
- 1717: Henry de Aguesso is appointed as the Chancellor of France.
- 1732: The Parliament of Ratsbons accepts a practical ban.
- 1783: William Herschel proclaims Lambda Hercules as the star.
- 1793: French Revolutionary War: France declares war against Great Britain and the Netherlands.
- 1797: Lord Cornwallis sworn in as Governor General of Bengal.
- 1814: The Mayon volcanic eruption in the Philippines killed about 1,200 people.
- 1835: Slavery was abolished in Mauritius.
- 1842: Willamette University is established in Salem, Oregon.
- 1843: Oldest continuous writer of insurance in America – The Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York (MONY) opens
- 1856: Auburn University was first hired as the East Alabama Men’s College.
- 1881: St. Stephen’s College, Delhi’s oldest college, established.
- 1884: The first volume of the Oxford Dictionary is published.
- 1898: The first insurance policy was issued to a passenger insurance company in the US.
- 1908: Portugal King Carlos (I) and his son Prince Louis Philipp are assassinated in Lisbon.
- 1908: King Carlos of Portugal and Infant Louis Philippe shot in Lisbon
- 1913: New York City’s Grand Central Terminal was rebuilt and reopened as the world’s largest railway station.
- 1914: Actor Avatar Kishan Hangal was born.
- 1946: Norwegian leader Tregue Lai was elected the first Secretary General of the United Nations.
- 1948: Federation of Malayalaya was announced.
- 1953: More than 2500 people died in floods in the Netherlands, Belgium, England and Scotland, in which only 1836 people died in the Netherlands.
- 1958: Egypt and Syria unite to form the United Arab Republic.
- 1974: Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, was declared a federal territory.
- 1975: Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation was launched in the Philippines.
- 1977: Indian Navy Coast Guard is formed.
- 1979: Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran after 15 years in exile
- 1984: Indian diplomat Ravindra Mhatre kidnapped and murdered by Kashmiri terrorists in Birmingham, England
- 1991: Earthquakes in Afghanistan and Pakistan killed around 1200 people.
- 1992: The United States Coast Guard begins sending about 14,000 refugees from Haiti to the first country.
- 2000: Scientists at the Los Almes National Laboratory in New Mexico announce the discovery of the genesis of Edge’s bacteria. According to scientists, these microbes originated around 1930 AD.
- 2003: The spacecraft Columbia crashed while returning from space to Earth orbit. All seven astronauts including Kalpana Chawla were killed in this accident.
- 2009: 97 Women’s Australian Open: Serena Williams defeated Dinara Safina (6-0, 6-3).
- 2012: 74 people were killed in a rioting during a football match in Port Said, Egypt.
- 2012: 73 people killed in Egyptian football riots in Port Said.
- 2018: The Indian government announces plan to give 500 million people free healthcare
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1914: A. K. Hangal, an Indian freedom fighter, and actor.
- 1956: Brahmanandam, an Indian film actor and comedian, known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema.
- 1957: Jackie Shroff, an Indian actor.
- 1971: Manoj Tiwari, an Indian politician, singer, and actor.
- 1971: Ajay Jadeja, an Indian former professional cricketer.
- 1982: Shoaib Malik, a Pakistani cricketer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1976: Werner Karl Heisenberg, a German theoretical physicist and one of the key pioneers of quantum mechanics.
- 1982: Pandit Raghunath Murmu, an Indian Santali writer and educator.
- 2003: Kalpana Chawla, an American astronaut, engineer, and the first woman of Indian origin to go to space.
- 2013: Shanu Lahiri, a Bengali painter, and art educator.