February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 04 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 04. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 04 February:
- 1713: Tuscara War:The Carolina militia under Colonel Jem Moore left Fort Reading to continue the campaign against Tuscarora.
- 1738: Court Jewish Joseph Sue Oppenheimer is executed in Württemberg.
- 1783: A massive earthquake in Calabria, Italy, killed 50,000 people.
- 1787: Shes’ failed Massachusetts uprising.
- 1789: George Washington is elected President of the United States and John Adams as Vice-President.
- 1789: George Washington is unanimously elected the first President of the United States.
- 1790: Louis XVI of France announces to the National Assembly that he will uphold constitutional law.
- 1794: French First Republic abolished slavery.
- 1797: More than 41 thousand people died in the devastating earthquake in Quito, the capital of Ecuador.
- 1847: America’s first telegraph company is established in Maryland.
- 1849: The University of Wisconsin starts in 1 room with 20 students.
- 1881: The first issue of the daily newspaper ‘Kesari’ in the editing of Lokmanya Tilak appeared in the market.
- 1896 : International Association of Bridge and Structural Iron Workers was established in Pittsburgh.
- 1920: The first airline started from London to South Africa.
- 1929: One millionth A-Ford model completed.
- 1938: The country’s famous Kathak artist Birju Maharaj was born.
- 1948: Sri Lanka, then called Ceylon, became independent from British rule.
- 1955: Baghdad Treaty: military treaty signed between Iraq and Turkey.
- 1974: Physicist Satendra Nath Bose, who discovered God particle, died.
- 1976: 22,000 people died in the horrific earthquake in the American countries Guatemala and Honduras.
- 1990: Ernakulam district of Kerala was declared a fully literate district of the country.
- 1997: 43 people were killed when two Israeli army-transport helicopters collided on their way to Lebanon.
- 2004: Mark Zuckerberg founded the social networking website Facebook.
- 2009: Indian Academy of Acupressure Sciences honored Baba Ramdev with the Live Time Achievement Award for his services.
- 2014: Satya Nadella is named CEO of Microsoft in Steve Ballmer.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1891: M. A. Ayyangar, the First Deputy Speaker and then-Speaker of the Lok Sabha in the Indian Parliament.
- 1902: Charles Lindbergh, an American aviator.
- 1917: Yahya Khan, a Pakistani general who served as the third President of Pakistan.
- 1922: Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, an Indian vocalist from Karnataka.
- 1938: Pandit Birju Maharaj, Classical Kathak dancer from India.
- 1943: Ken Thompson, an American pioneer of computer science.
- 1943: Padma Subrahmanyam, an Indian classical Bharata Natyam dancer.
- 1974: Urmila Matondkar, an Indian actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1670: Tanaji Malusare, a military assistant of Maratha King Shivaji.
- 1974: Satyendra Nath Bose, an Indian mathematician, and physicist.
- 2001: Pankaj Roy, an Indian cricketer. He is best known for establishing the world record opening partnership of 413 runs.
- 2002: Bhagwan Dada, an Indian actor and film director.