February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 February:
- 1757: British scientist Joseph Black discovers carbonic gas.
- 1778: France recognizes America as a nation.
- 1778: France declares war on France.
- 1815: New Jersey grants first US rail charter to John Stevens.
- 1819: A formal treaty between Husain Shah of Johor and the British Sir Stamford Rafals establishes a trade agreement in Singapore.
- 1833: Prince Otto Friedrich Ludwig of Bavaria gives the title to his King Prince Otto Frederick Ludwig, named after His Majesty Otthan the First, Grace of God, King of Greece, Prince of Bavaria.
- 1843: Virginia Minstrels perform first blitz at Bowery Amphitheater in New York City.
- 1888: Gillis Bildt becomes Prime Minister of Sweden.
- 1904: The Japan-Russian War began with the invasion of Japanese forces on the armies of Russia and China.
- 1911: First old age home opened in Arizona, USA.
- 1911: Pluto Powder Company explosion in Michigan kills 10 workers.
- 1918: British women over 30 years of age get the right to vote.
- 1919: Seattle general strike begins in United States, affecting more than 65,000 workers
- 1922: The Panchmukhi Agreement is signed in Washington to control and reduce arms internationally.
- 1928: Actress May Clarke marries Chicago dancer and comedian Lev Bruce.
- 1931: Renowned lawyer and leader Motilal Nehru died in Lucknow.
- 1935: Avalanche in Switzerland, Germany and Austria killed 14 people.
- 1936: A team of explorers discover the world’s coldest region after four years of intensive effort.
- 1937: K.D.Elizabeth Ohi became the first Japanese-American female advocate.
- 1941: Battle of Beda Foam begins in Libya.
- 1948: Radio-controlled aircraft are flown for the first time.
- 1950: First Cabinet Secretary N.R.Pillai appointed in India
- 1951: US conducts nuclear test in Nevada.
- 1952: Elizabeth II takes over as Queen of England. She was just 26 years old at the time.
- 1959: Anna Chandy becomes the first woman judge to be appointed to the High Court in India.
- 1981: Prince of Wales proposes marriage to Lady Diana Spencer at Buckingham Palace.
- 2000: Tara Halonen is elected the first female president of Finland.
- 2005: Tony Blair remains the Prime Minister of Britain for 2,838 days.
- 2008: Hurricane hit the western coastal region of America.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1665: Anne, Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland.
- 1911: Ronald Reagan, an American politician and the 40th president of the United States.
- 1912: Eva Anna Paula Hitler, the longtime companion of Adolf Hitler and, his wife.
- 1915: Kavi Pradeep, an Indian poet, and songwriter.
- 1923: J Rameshwar Rao, an Indian lawyer, diplomat, Member of Parliament, and book publisher.
- 1983: S. Sreesanth, an Indian cricketer.
- 1992: Nora Fatehi, an Indian-Moroccan dancer, model, actress, and singer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1804: Joseph Priestley, an English chemist.
- 1931: Pt. Motilal Nehru, an Indian lawyer, activist, and politician.
- 1939: Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the Maharaja of Baroda State.
- 1946: Sir Upendranath Brahmachari, an Indian scientist.
- 1952: George VI, the King of the United Kingdom.
- 1964: Emilio Aguinaldo, the first and the youngest President of the Philippines and the first president of a constitutional republic in Asia.
- 1976: Ritwik Ghatak, an Indian noted film director, screenwriter, and playwright.
- 1994: Jack Kirby, an American comic book artist, writer, and editor.