February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 February:
- 1672: Physicist Ice Newton presented optic and research paper in London.
- 1724: Catherine I of Russia was officially named Zarina by her husband Peter the Great.
- 1725: Catherine I becomes Queen of Russia after the death of her husband Peter the Great.
- 1726: Supreme Privy Council established in Russia.
- 1750: Affected by a minor earthquake in London.
- 1761: An earthquake in London breaks the chimney at Limouse and Poplar.
- 1802: Simon Willard patented Banjo watch.
- 1826: Greekist Bernardino Rivadavia becomes the first President of Argentina
- 1865: For the first time in the US Army, a black Martin Robison Delaney was made Major.
- 1897: Zakir Hussain, the third President of India, was born in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- 1905: A severe cyclonic storm struck Haiti and the surrounding islands killed 10,000 people.
- 1922: US presidential building White House begins using rodeo.
- 1933: The coldest temperature in Texas was recorded at 23 ° C.
- 1936: Jawaharlal Nehru was elected President of the Indian National Congress.
- 1943: Freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose left for Japan via a ferry from Kell, Germany.
- 1952: Queen Elizabeth becomes Queen of Britain and President of Commonwealth Countries.
- 1963: Famous cricketer and former Indian captain Azaruddin was born in Hyderabad.
- 1971: The world’s first electronic stock market Nasdaq was launched.
- 1978: US Senate proceedings aired on radio for the first time.
- 1992: Ulysses spacecraft passed near Jupiter.
- 2002: The 19th Winter Olympic Games were held in Salt Lake City Utah, United States.
- 2007: King of Bhutan arrives on his first Indian visit.
- 2008: A 2500-year-old city was found during excavations at Shishupalgarh in Odisha.
- 2009: An avalanche in the Khilanmarg area near Srinagar, 350 soldiers of the Army’s High Altitude Warfare School were buried under snow.
- 2013: 29 people killed and 69 injured in bombings in Iraq.
- 2014: A fire in a hotel in Medina city of Saudi Arabia killed 15 people and injured 130 people.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1700: Daniel Bernoulli, a Swiss mathematician, and physicist.
- 1828: Jules Verne, a French novelist, poet, and playwright.
- 1834: Dmitri Mendeleev, a Russian chemist, and inventor.
- 1897: Zakir Husain, an Indian economist, politician, and the third President of India.
- 1941: Jagjit Singh, an Indian ghazal singer.
- 1925: Shobha Gurtu, an Indian singer.
- 1963: Mohammad Azharuddin, an Indian politician, a former cricketer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1725: Peter the Great, the emperor of Russia.
- 1971: K. Munshi, an Indian independence movement activist, politician, writer, and educationist from the Gujarat state.
- 1975: Robert Robinson, a British organic chemist and Nobel laureate.
- 1995: Kalpana Datta, an Indian independence movement activist and a member of the armed independence movement led by Surya Sen