February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10 February:
- 1616: British ambassador Sir Thomas Roe arrives in Ajmer at the court of Mughal ruler Jahangir.
- 1692: The founder of Calcutta Job Charnock died in Calcutta.
- 1712: The Huileche rebellion began in the Chila archipelago.
- 1716: Scottish emissary James III Edward comes to France for the throne.
- 1763: French-Indian War ends with Treaty of Paris, Canada surrenders to Britain.
- 1774: Andrew Baker participated in a diving suit demonstration.
- 1798: French General Louis-Alexander Berthier removes Popetti from power.
- 1823: The world’s first Carnival Parade took place in Cologne, Prussia.
- 1825: Eamon Bolívar relinquishes his title to the Peruvian dictator and takes the alternate title of El Libetador.
- 1840: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom marries cousin Prince Albert to Saxe-Coburg and Goth.
- 1841: The Act of Union (British North America Act, 1840) was announced in Canada.
- 1846: The British defeat the Sikhs at the Battle of Sobraon.
- 1868: British War Office approves Army Post Office Corps formation.
- 1879: Electric lights were used for the first time at the California Theater in the United States.
- 1897: Freedom of religion is declared in Madagascar.
- 1912: French Senate approves Morocco Agreement.
- 1917: Johanna Westerditch became the first female professor in the Netherlands.
- 1927: JRD Tata becomes the first Indian to get a pilot license.
- 1931: New Delhi became the capital of India.
- 1959: 19 killed and 265 injured by storm in St.Louis, US.
- 1961: Niagara Falls Hydropower Project in Canada started generating electricity.
- 1979: Itanagar became the capital of Arunachal Pradesh.
- 1991: The most successful boxing player in the world, Mike Tyson was convicted of rape and sentenced to 6 years.
- 1996: IBM’s supercomputer Deb Blue defeated world champion Mary Kasparov for the first time in chess.
- 2003: Namibia played the first international ODI match.
- 2006: The 20th Winter Olympic Games begin in Turin, Italy.
- 2009: Famous classical singer Pandit Bhimsen Joshi was awarded the highest civilian award of the country, Bharataratna.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1803: Jagannath Shankarsheth Murkute, an Indian philanthropist and educationalist.
- 1894: Harold Macmillan, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1910: Durga Bhagwat, an Indian scholar, socialist, and writer.
- 1945: Rajesh Pilot, an Indian politician.
- 1946: Sarah Joseph, an Indian novelist and short story writer in Malayalam.
- 1970: Kumar Vishwas, an Indian Hindi poet, politician, and a lecturer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1865: Heinrich Friedrich Emil Lenz, a Russian physicist.
- 1912: Joseph Lister, a British surgeon and a pioneer of antiseptic surgery.
- 1923: Wilhelm Röntgen, a German mechanical engineer and physicist.
- 1953: N. Ayyangar Gopalaswami Ayyangar, Member of the Drafting Committee of the Constitution of India.
- 1957: Laura Ingalls Wilder, an American writer.