February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 11 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 11. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 11 February:
- 1613: Mughal emperor Jahangir allowed the East India Company to set up a factory in Surat.
- 1715: Tuscara War: Tuscara and his allies signed a peace treaty with the Province of Carolina and agreed to go on a reservation near Lake Mattamusket and went to New York, ending the Tuscara War.
- 1809: Robert Fulton invented the stepboat in the United States.
- 1847: Alva Edison was born, who gave many unique things to the world with a sharp mind.
- 1852: The first British public toilet for women opened at Bedford Street, London.
- 1874: American inventor Thomas Elva Edison is born.
- 1919: Frederick Ebert is elected President of Germany.
- 1953: Soviet Union breaks diplomatic relations with Israel.
- 1955: Publication of newspapers started in India for the first time.
- 1963: American-born poet Sylvia Plath commits suicide in London.
- 1964: Limpol in Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot residents killed 50 in Greek fighting.
- 1966: Former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri died in Tashkent.
- 1968: Jana Sangh founder, writer, journalist Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay was assassinated in Mughalsarai.
- 1968: Border conflict between Israel and Jordan begins.
- 1970: Japan launches first satellite Yosumi, on a Lambda-4 rocket.
- 1978: China lifts ban on the works of Aristotle, Shakespeare and Dickens.
- 1978: The wedding of sixteen unification church couples was held in New York City.
- 1979: Iran’s Prime Minister resigns, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei seizes power.
- 1987: British Airways was privatized and listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- 1990: Nelson Mandela, the great leader of South Africa, is released after 27 years long imprisonment.
- 2001: A Dutch computer programmer launches the Anna Kurnikova virus, affecting millions of e-mails.
- 2011: President Hosni Mubarak resigns in the wake of the Egyptian Revolution.
- 2013: 18 mine workers killed in an explosion in the Komi region of Russia.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1800: William Henry Fox, an English scientist, inventor, and photography pioneer.
- 1839: Almon Brown Strowger, an American inventor.
- 1847: Thomas Alva Edison, an American inventor, and businessman.
- 1932: Raavi Kondala Rao, an Indian film actor.
- 1969: Jennifer Aniston, an American actress, producer, and businesswoman.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1650: René Descartes, a French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist.
- 1942: Jamnalal Bajaj, an Indian industrialist, a philanthropist, and an Indian independence fighter.
- 1968: Deendayal Upadhyaya, an Indian politician and thinker of right-wing Hindutva ideology.
- 1977: Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, an Indian lawyer, and politician who served as the fifth President of India.
- 1993: Kamal Amrohi, an Indian film director and screenwriter.