February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 February:
- 1719: Oderlinge van 1719 UA, the oldest existing life insurance company in the Netherlands.
- 1742: Nana Phadnavis, the great Maratha diplomat, was born.
- 1771: Gustav III becomes king of Sweden.
- 1771: Gustav III becomes King of Sweden.
- 1804: Emanuel Kant, eminent philosopher and thinker of Germany, died at the age of 80.
- 1809: 16th President of America Abraham Lincoln was born.
- 1817: The Argentine / Chilean Patriotic Army defeated the Spanish Army at the Battle of Chachabucco.
- 1818: South American country Chile gets independence from Spain.
- 1818: Chile declares its independence from Spain.
- 1871: Charles Freer Andrews, a Christian missionary, educationist and social reformer in India, was born in Newcastle, England.
- 1877: American railway builders strike against wage reduction.
- 1901: Viceroy of India Lord Curzon built the new North-West Frontier Province in Punjab near the border of Afghanistan.
- 1912: China adopted the Gregorian calendar.
- 1914: Washington, D.C. In, the first stone of the Lincoln Memorial was laid.
- 1928: Gandhiji declared Satyagraha in Bardoli.
- 1948: Hasan al-Banna, the famous Egyptian struggler and founder of the Ikhwanul Muslimeen Organization, was conspired and martyred by Britain and then Egyptian King Malik Farooq.
- 1951: Mohammad Raza Shah married Soraya Aspendi Bakhtiar.
- 1975: India declares itself to be smallpox.
- 1988: Anthony Kennedy was appointed to the United States Supreme Court.
- 1994: Edward Munk’s famous petting ‘The Scream’ was stolen from the National Gallery of Norway.
- 2002: 119 people died after an Iranian plane crashed while landing at Khurramabad Airport.
- 2010: The 21st Winter Olympic Games begin in Vancouver, Canada.
- 2013: North Korea conducts third underground nuclear test.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1742: Nana Phadnavis, an influential minister and statesman of the Maratha Empire.
- 1804: Emil Lenz, a Russian physicist.
- 1809: Charles Darwin, an English naturalist, geologist, and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution.
- 1809: Abraham Lincoln, an American statesman, and lawyer who served as the 16th president of the United States.
- 1824: Dayananda Saraswati, an Indian philosopher, social leader, and founder of the Arya Samaj.
- 1871: Charles Freer Andrews, a priest of the Church of England.
- 1877: Louis Renault, a French industrialist, one of the founders of Renault.
- 1920: Pran Krishan Sikand, better known as Pran, an Indian actor.
- 1949: Gundappa Viswanath, an Indian former cricketer.
- 1962: Jagapathi Babu, an Indian film actor.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1710: Jahandar Shah, a Mughal Emperor.
- 1794: Mahadaji Shinde, a Maratha Statesman, and ruler of Ujjain in Central India.
- 1808: Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher and one of the central Enlightenment thinkers.
- 2001: Bhakti Barve, an Indian film, theatre, and television actress.