February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 February:
- 1542: Queen Catherine of England was given the death penalty.
- 1575: King Henry III of France was crowned at Reims.
- 1689: The Declaration of the Bill of Rights was read out at the ceremony of the crowning of King William Trinity and Queen Mary II of Britain. With this, Britain’s governance system changed to conditional monarchy.
- 1706: Battle over Frostd: Swedish army defeated Russia.
- 1713: Mughal ruler Jahandar Shah was strangled to death.
- 1741: Andrew Bedford publishes his first American magazine.
- 1755: The kingdom of Mataram over Java was divided into two parts, the Sultanate of Yogacarta and the Sunnets of Surakarta.
- 1766: John Mills was elected a fellow of the Royal Society with Benjamin Franklin as his sponsor.
- 1786: Abraham Baldwin was elected president of the University of Georgia.
- 1795: First state university in the US opens in North Carolina.
- 1799: First US insurance law passed by Massachusetts legislature.
- 1812: Aurora de Chile, the first Chilean newspaper, tackled political philosophy and stood in favor of the new national government.
- 1879: Sarojini Naidu, one of the important national leaders of India, was born.
- 1883: German musician Richard Wagner died at the age of 70.
- 1883: German composer Richard Wagner died of a heart attack in Venice, Italy.
- 1891: Anti-tobacco campaign launched in Iran.
- 1917: Mata Hari arrested in Paris for spying.
- 1945: The Soviet Union captured the Hungarian capital Budapest after a 49-day war with Germany which killed one lakh 59 thousand people.
- 1973: Rate of United States Dollar reduced by 10%.
- 1974: Dissatisfied Nobel laureate Alexander Solzenitsyn was expelled from the Soviet Union.
- 1976: Nigeria’s General Murtala Mohammed is assassinated in a military coup.
- 1980: The Winter Olympics were played in Lake Placid New York.
- 1983: 64 people died in a fire in a cinema house in Turin, Italy.
- 1991: US bombed Iraq, killing 334 people.
- 2001: A 6.6 magnitude earthquake in the Central American country El Salvador killed at least 400 people.
- 2014: 14 people were killed and 17 injured in an explosion in an illegal gambling house in the city of Cali, China.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1766: Thomas Robert Malthus, an English cleric, scholar, and influential economist.
- 711 BC: Emperor Jimmu, the first legendary Emperor of Japan according to the Nihon Shoki and Kojiki.
- 1835: Mirzā Ghulām Ahmad, the founder of the Ahmadiyya movement in Islam.
- 1879: Sarojini Naidu, an Indian political activist, and poet.
- 1894: V.C.Bendre, a historian and author.
- 1911: Faiz Ahmad Faiz, a Pakistani poet, and author in Urdu.
- 1945: Vinod Mehra, an Indian actor.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1974: Ustad Amir Khan, an Indian classical vocalist and the founder of the Indore Gharana.
- 1977: Kozhikode Abdul Kader, an Indian playback singer who was active in Malayalam cinema.
- 2008: Rajendra Nath Malhotra, an Indian actor and comedian.
- 2012: Akhlaq Mohammad Khan, a Hindi film lyricist.
- 2016: O. N. V. Kurup, a Malayalam poet and lyricist from Kerala, India.