February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 14 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 14. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 14 February:
- 1537: Sultan Bahadur Shah of Gujarat died from drowning while escaping from the Portuguese.
- 1556: Akbar’s Rajabhishek took place in just 13 years at Kalanaur in Gurdaspur district of Punjab.
- 1658: After Shah Jahan, Dara Shikoh defeated Shah Shuja in the battle of Bahadurpur to take over the power of Delhi.
- 1735: St. Anna is installed in Russia in honor of the great Peter’s daughter.
- 1747: Astronomer James Bradley presents the discovery of the motion of the Earth on its axis to the Royal Society, London.
- 1814: Napoleon I of France triumphed against von Blücher in the Battle of the Vauchaps.
- 1820: Minh Mang rule begins in Vietnam.
- 1859: Oregon is accepted as the 33rd US state.
- 1881: India’s first homeopathic medical college was established in Kolkata.
- 1899: US Congress begins using voting machine.
- 1905: Dag Dehalvi, the famous poet of Urdu died.
- 1912: The first diesel submarine was built in the city of Groton near London.
- 1933: Beautiful actress Madhubala was born.
- 1938: The British Navy commences operations in Singapore.
- 1939: German warship Bismarck launched.
- 1942: The Battle of the Bilin River begins in Burma.
- 1945: Peru, Paraguay, Chile and Ecuador became members of the United Nations.
- 1946: Bank of England becomes nationalized bank.
- 1952: Sushma Swaraj, the top female politician of the Bharatiya Janata Party, was born.
- 1959: The famous revolutionary Feudel Castro reigns over Cuba.
- 1975: Famous writer Sir Pelham Graniwal Woodhouse died.
- 1985: CNN correspondent Jeremy Levine is released from captivity in Lebanon.
- 1989: The first satellite based on the Global Positioning System is placed near Earth’s orbit in space.
- 2005: Video-sharing website YouTube is launched.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1483: Babur, the founder of the Mughal Empire and first Emperor of the Mughal dynasty in India.
- 1818: Frederick Douglass, an American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman.
- 1909: Accamma Cherian, an Indian independence activist from the erstwhile Travancore, India.
- 1933: Madhubala, an Indian film actress.
- 1952: Sushma Swaraj, an Indian politician, and a Supreme Court lawyer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1779: Captain James Cook, a British explorer, navigator, cartographer, and captain in the British Royal Navy.
- 1808: John Dickinson, a Founding Father of the United States.
- 1975: P. G. Wodehouse, an English author.