February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 15 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 15. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 15 February:
- 1564: Italian physicist Galileo Galilei was born.
- 1764: The city of St. Louis founded in America.
- 1764: American city of St. Louis established.
- 1782: Sea war between Britain and France started.
- 1804: New Jersey becomes the last northern state to abolish slavery.
- 1805: Harmony Society officially formed as a Christian community in Harmony, Pennsylvania.
- 1869: Mirza Ghalib Asad Ullah Beg Khan, the famous Urdu poet and writer born in Agra, died.
- 1903: For the first time on this day, Morris Mikhtom introduced two soft toys made by himself in his shop. Those named Teddy Bear.
- 1903: Morris and Rose Mitchum introduced the first teddy bear in the United States.
- 1906: British Labor Party established.
- 1926: Contract Air Mail service launched in the US.
- 1926: Orpheum Theater opened in Los Angeles
- 1936: Russian physician and biologist Petrovich Pavloff died at the age of 87.
- 1945: Germany begins Operation Sankranti on the Eastern Front.
- 1957: Andrei Gromyko becomes Foreign Minister of the Soviet Union.
- 1961: 73 people are killed when a Boeing 707 plane crashes in Belgium.
- 1965: Maple (type of shady tree) leaves place in Canada’s official flag.
- 1976: The Central Agricultural Research Institute was established in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- 2000: Famous filmmaker director BR Chopra was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
- 2008: Astronomers discovered another solar system similar to the solar system.
- 2011: Protests in Libya opposed Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi’s regime.
- 2012: 358 people died in a fierce fire at the Comayagua prison in the Central American country of Honduras.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1564: Galileo Galilei, an Italian astronomer, physicist, and engineer.
- 1710: Louis XV, the King of France.
- 1824: Rajendralal (Raja Mitra), the first president of the Asiatic Society, an Orientalist researcher in Bengal.
- 1923: Sathyavani Muthu, an Indian politician and an influential leader from Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- 1934: Niklaus Wirth, a Swiss computer scientist.
- 1935: Bashir Badr, an Indian poet of Urdu.
- 1947: Randhir Kapoor, an Indian film actor, producer, and director.
- 1949: Namdeo Dhasal, a Marathi poet, writer, and Dalit activist from Maharashtra, India.
- 1964: Ashutosh Gowariker, an Indian film director, actor, screenwriter, and producer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1869: Mirza Ghalib, a prominent Urdu, and Persian poet during the last years of the Mughal Empire.
- 1948: Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, an Indian poet.
- 1953: Sureshbabu Mane, a prominent Hindustani classical music singer of Kirānā Gharānā in India.
- 1988: Richard Feynman, an American theoretical physicist.