February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 16 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 16. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 16 February:
- 1723: Louis XV of France receives a majority with a logo.
- 1745: Thorley Madhavrao, the fourth Peshwa of the Maratha community, was born.
- 1751: Gray’s “LG Living in Country Church Yard” was first published.
- 1760: Native American hostages die at Fort Prince George, South Carolina.
- 1769: Planned horse racing was organized for the first time in Accra, Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1796: Great Britain is granted control of Ceylon by the Dutch.
- 1846: The Battle of Sobraon brought an end to the Sikh War in India.
- 1896: Suryakant Tripathi Nirala, the famous poet, litterateur and writer of Hindi was born.
- 1901: Mahadev Govind Ranade, the famous nationalist, social reformer, scholar and jurist of India, died.
- 1914: First aircraft flew between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- 1938: Renowned Bengali litterateur Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay died.
- 1944: Dadasaheb Phalke, father of Hindi cinema, died at the age of 74 in Nashik.
- 1946: For the first time a representative of the Soviet Union in the United Nations exercised the veto right.
- 1959: Fidel Castro, the revolutionary leader in Cuba, becomes the youngest Prime Minister in Cuban history at 32 years.
- 1966: Indian educationist and freedom fighter Sadhu Vaswani died.
- 1969: Postage stamp was issued on the 100th death anniversary of Mirza Ghalib.
- 1982: The Jawaharlal Nehru International Gold Cup Football Tournament was held for the first time in Kolkata (then Calcutta).
- 2005: The Kyoto Pact to protect the environment came into existence seven years after several major countries agreed.
- 2013: 84 people were killed and 190 injured in a bomb blast at a market in Hazara town of Pakistan.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1222: Nichiren, a Japanese Buddhist priest of the Kamakura period, who developed the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism, a branch school of Mahayana Buddhism.
- 1822: Sir Francis Galton, an English statistician.
- 1928: Dinesh Nandini Dalmia, an Indian poet, short story writer, and novelist.
- 1954: Michael Holding, a Jamaican cricket commentator, and former cricketer.
- 1964: Bebeto, a Brazilian former professional football player.
- 1978: Wasim Jaffer, an Indian former cricketer.
- 1997: Pardeep Narwal, an Indian kabaddi player.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1944: Dadasaheb Phalke, an Indian producer-director-screenwriter, known as the Father of Indian cinema.
- 1956: Meghnad Saha, an Indian astrophysicist who developed the Saha ionization equation.
- 1996: R. D. Aga, an Indian industrialist and founder of Thermax.
- 2000: Karsten Solheim, an American golf club designer, and businessman.
- 2000: Bellary Kesavan, the first National Librarian of independent India.
- 2015: R. R. Patil, an Indian politician from the state of Maharashtra.