February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 17 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 17. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 17 February:
- 1266: Naseeruddin Mohammad Shah, the eighth Sultan of the Mamluk kingdom (slave dynasty), died.
- 1370: Germany defeated Lithuania at the Battle of Rudeau.
- 1698: Aurangzeb captures the fort of Jinji after an eight-year siege.
- 1714: The Parliament of Paris accepts the “Unigenetus” degree of Pope Clemens XI.
- 1720: The Treaty of The Hague signed between Spain, Britain, France, Austria and the Dutch Republic, the Quarterral Alliance ending the war.
- 1772: The first division of Poland was signed in Vienna by Austria, Prussia and Russia.
- 1776: Edward Gibbon publishes the first volume of the history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire.
- 1807: Henry Christopher is elected the first President of the State of Haiti.
- 1827: A Swiss intellectual named John Henry Pestalozzi passed away.
- 1865: Columbia Supreme Court burned down during the Civil War in America.
- 1878: The first telephone exchange opened in the city of San Francisco.
- 1882: The first Test cricket match was played at the Cricket Ground in Sydney.
- 1883: Vasudev Bal Vant Phadke, a great revolutionary, freedom fighter and social activist, died in Adan prison.
- 1894: American outlaw John Wesley Hardin is released from prison.
- 1927: The world’s first company to manufacture airplanes was founded by William Boeing and Albert Hubbard.
- 1933: America’s weekly magazine ‘Newsweek’ is published.
- 1944: The Battle of Eniwetok began during World War II, in which American troops prevailed.
- 1947: ‘Voice of America’ began broadcasting in the Soviet Union.
- 1962: 265 people died in Hamburg, Germany.
- 1994: Gujarat Chief Minister Chimanbhai Patel died at the age of 65.
- 2007: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announces the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.
- 2008: Kosovo declares independence from Serbia.
- 2014: Somaya Jibarti of Saudi Arabia became the first female Chief Editor of the country. He was made the editor-in-chief of the ‘Saudi Gazette’ newspaper.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1854: Friedrich Krupp, a German steel manufacturer.
- 1874: Thomas John Watson Sr., an American businessman.
- 1899: Jibanananda Das, an Indian poet, writer, novelist, and essayist in the Bengali language.
- 1954: K. Chandrashekhar Rao, an Indian politician and the first Chief Minister of Telangana.
- 1957: Praful Patel, an Indian politician, and businessman.
- 1963: Jen-Hsun Huang, a Taiwanese-American billionaire businessman and electrical engineer. He co-founded the graphics-processor company Nvidia.
- 1991: Ed Sheeran, an English singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and actor.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1600: Giordano Bruno, an Italian philosopher.
- 1883: Vasudev Balwant Phadke, an Indian independence activist and revolutionary.
- 1986: Jiddu Krishnamurti, an Indian speaker, and writer.
- 1988: Karpoori Thakur, an Indian politician.