February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18 February:
- 1614: Jahangir captured Mewar.
- 1836: Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, the great saint and thinker, was born.
- 1911: For the first time by plane, the work of sending mail was done in India. The first official flight of Air Mail took place in Allahabad. 10 km In this flight of 6500 letters were taken to Naini.
- 1925: Krishna Sobti, a Hindi writer and essay writer, was born.
- 1930: Pluto, the ninth planet in our solar system for a long time, was discovered by Clyde Tombamag.
- 1930: Astronomer Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto
- 1946: The Royal Indian Navy (Navy) revolt in Mumbai.
- 1952: Greece and Turkey join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- 1965: Gambia country got independence from Britain and today is declared as the national day of this country.
- 1965: Great Britain granted independence to Gambia city
- 1971: India established its first satellite contact with Britain through the Arvi satellite station.
- 1977: The British science fiction comic 2000AD debuted on 26 February with Project 1.
- 1979: The US gave India a check of Rs 1664 crore, which is considered to be the largest check in the world.
- 2001: FBI agent Robert Hansen is arrested on the charge of spying for the Soviet Union and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- 2001: FBI agent Robert Hansen arrested because he was accused of spying Russia for 25 years.
- 2007: 68 people killed in a Samjhauta Express going from Delhi to Lahore.
- 2014: At least 76 people are killed and hundreds injured in clashes between police and protesters in Ukraine’s capital Kiev.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1745: Alessandro Volta, an Italian physicist, the inventor of the electric battery, and the discoverer of methane.
- 1823: Gopal Hari Deshmukh, an Indian activist, thinker, social reformer, and writer.
- 1871: Vitthalbhai Patel, a political leader and the first Indian President of the Central Legislative Assembly of India.
- 1883: Madan Lal Dhingra, an Indian revolutionary, and pro-independence activist.
- 1886: Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, an Indian Hindu mystic, saint, and religious leader.
- 1894: Rafi Ahmed Kidwai, an Indian independence activist and a socialist.
- 1898: Enzo Ferrari, an Italian motor racing driver, and entrepreneur, the founder of the Ferrari automobile marque.
- 1914: Jan Nisar Akhtar, an Indian poet of Urdu ghazals and nazms.
- 1927: Mohammed Zahur Khayyam Hashmi, an Indian music director, and background score composer.
- 1933: Nimmi, an Indian screen actress.
- 1957: Rajat Sharma, an Indian journalist and the Chairman and Editor-in-Chief, India TV.
- 1966: Sajid Nadiadwala, an Indian film producer, and director.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1294: Kublai Khan, the fifth khagan of the Mongol Empire.
- 1405: Taimur, the first ruler of the Timurid dynasty.
- 1564: Michelangelo, an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet.
- 1967: J. Robert Oppenheimer, an American theoretical physicist.
- 2016: Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan, an Indian vocalist of Hindustani music.