February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19 February:
- 1389: Sultan Gasuddin Tughlaq II is assassinated in Delhi.
- 1473: Holland mathematician and astronomer Nicholas Copernicus is born. As a result of his hard work he discovered in 1503 that the Earth completes its orbit around the Sun once in 24 hours.
- 1630: Shivaji, the best Maratha ruler and the donor of guerrilla warfare, was born in Junnar.
- 1807: In Alabama, a conspiracy against former United States Vice President Aaron Burr is tried, but proven innocent.
- 1828: Boston Society for Medical Reform is established in the United States.
- 1881: Kansas becomes the first state to ban all alcoholic beverages.
- 1915: Freedom fighter Gopal Krishna Gokhale died.
- 1920: United States Senate refuses to ratify Versailles Treaty
- 1942: During World War II, 243 people were killed in a Japanese fighter plane attack on the northern Australian city of Darwin.
- 1943: Third battle of Kharkov begins.
- 1959: An agreement is reached between Greece, Turkey and Britain regarding the independence of Cyprus.
- 1966: United Kingdom Naval Minister Christopher Mayu resigns.
- 1978: Famous singer, composer and actor Pankaj Malik of Bengali and Hindi films passed away.
- 1986: Computerized railway reservation ticket was introduced for the first time in India.
- 1993: A ship with 1500 passengers drowned at sea near Haito.
- 1997: Deng Xiau Peng died at the age of 92, a senior Chinese leader who laid the foundation for economic reform in the country.
- 1999: Danish scientist Doctor Len Westergaard succeeds in slowing the speed of light in Washington.
- 2004: Approval of the Stockholm Treaty banning pesticides and industrial chemicals by more than 50 countries of the world.
- 2012: 44 people killed in prison riots in Nuevo Leon, Mexico.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1473: Nicolaus Copernicus, a Renaissance-era mathematician, and astronomer.
- 1630: Shivaji Maharaj, an Indian warrior-king and founder of the Maratha Empire.
- 1859: Svante Arrhenius, a Swedish scientist.
- 1900: Balwantrai Mehta, an Indian politician and the 2nd Chief Minister of Gujarat state, India.
- 1906: M. S. Golwalkar, the second Sarsanghchalak of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh.
- 1922: Beant Singh, an Indian politician and the former Chief Minister of Punjab.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1885: Munshi Nawal Kishore, a book publisher from India.
- 1915: Gopal Krishna Gokhale, an Indian liberal political leader, and a social reformer.
- 1978: Pankaj Mullick, a popular Bengali Indian music composer, playback singer, and actor.
- 1997: Deng Xiaoping, a Chinese politician.
- 2015: Nirad Narayan Mohapatra, an Indian film director.