February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 20 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 20. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 20 February:
- 1677: France defeats the Spanish army at Hetty and French imperialism begins over the region.
- 1707: The Mughal ruler Aurangzeb died in Ahmednagar.
- 1710: Johann Willem Friso Groningen is made Viceroy of the Netherlands.
- 1737: France’s Finance Minister Chauvelin resigns.
- 1745: Jacobic troops capture Fort Augustus, Scotland.
- 1768: First American Chartered Fire Insurance Company opens.
- 1792: Postal Services Act, United States Post Office Department, signed by President George Washington.
- 1810: Tyrolean rebel leader Andreas Hoffer is executed.
- 1811: Austria is declared bankrupt.
- 1827: At the Battle of Itujingo (Peso do Rosario), a contingent of the Brazilian Imperial Army participated in the battle with Argentine-Uruguayan troops.
- 1846: British capture Lahore.
- 1868: The first weekly issue of Amrit Bazar Patrika was published in Bengali.
- 1869: Tennessee Governor W. C. Brownlow declares martial law in the Ku Klux Klan crisis.
- 1872: The Metropolitan Museum of Art is inaugurated in New York City.
- 1873: University of California opens its first medical school.
- 1915: San Francisco inaugurates the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition.
- 1921: Young Communist League of Czechoslovakia established.
- 1947: British Prime Minister Clement Attlee announced that Britain would leave India by June 1948.
- 1950: Sarat Chandra Bose, the elder brother of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, died.
- 1959: Canada cancels the Aviro Arrow program.
- 1965: Ranger launched by NASA landed on the moon, sending photos and necessary data.
- 1968: Dr. PK at KEM Hospital, Mumbai. Sen first underwent a heart transplant.
- 1976: Bombay High commences production of crude oil for commercial use.
- 1983: 600 people died due to widespread violence in the north-eastern state of Assam before the assembly elections.
- 1987: Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh became the 23rd and 24th states of India.
- 2002: 373 died in a moving train in Cairo (Egypt).
- 2015: 49 people killed in two train collisions in the city of Rafz, Switzerland.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1844: Ludwig Eduard Boltzmann, an Austrian physicist, and philosopher.
- 1900: Rattanbai Jinnah, the wife of Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
- 1901: Mohamed Naguib, an Egyptian politician and the first President and Prime Minister of Egypt.
- 1917: Kaif Bhopali, an Indian Urdu poet and lyricist.
- 1956: Annu Kapoor, an Indian film actor and television presenter.
- 1988: Rihanna, a Barbadian singer, actress, and businesswoman.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1895: Frederick Douglass, an American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman.
- 1950: Sarat Chandra Bose, an Indian barrister, and independence activist.
- 1960: Kothainayaki Ammal, a Tamil writer, novelist, and journalist.
- 1993: Ferruccio Lamborghini, an Italian industrialist. He created an Automobile Lamborghini.
- 2015: Govind Pansare, a left-wing Indian politician of the Communist Party of India.