February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 21 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 21. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 21 February:
- 1613: Romanov dynasty rule established in Russia.
- 1791: United States opens diplomatic relations with Portugal.
- 1808: Finnish War: Russian soldiers cross the border into Finland without declaring war.
- 1824: The Chamash Rebellion of 1824 begins against the Spanish presence in California.
- 1842: John Greenoff gets patent rights for sewing machine in America.
- 1858: Edwin T. Holmes built the first electric thief alarm (Boston, Mass).
- 1862: Munshi Mehboob Alam, an eminent poet and journalist of Urdu language, was born.
- 1862: The federal constitution and the presidency are declared permanent.
- 1878: First telephone directory issued in Connecticut, USA.
- 1896: The great poet and writer Suryakant Tripathi Nirala was born.
- 1916: During World War I, a terrible war started between Germany and France. This battle is famous as the War of War.
- 1925: 621 died at a dynamite depot in Brazil.
- 1932: Andre Tardié becomes the Prime Minister of France for the third time.
- 1948: Draft of the constitution of independent India presented to the Speaker of the Constituent Assembly.
- 1952: Demonstrated to give Bengali language official language status at Dhaka University in East Pakistan (present-day Dhaka).
- 1965: Malcolm X, a famous American militant, was killed by a suspected faction of this country.
- 1973: In the Sinai Desert, Israeli fighter aircraft shot down the Libyan Arab Airlines plane-114, killing 108 people on board.
- 1986: Government of South Africa opens Johannesburg and Durban to blacks.
- 1991: Indian actress and singer Nutan passed away.
- 1995: Sarkadji Prison Rebellion in Algeria: Four guards and 96 prisoners killed in one and a half years.
- 1999: Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif signed the Lahore Declaration.
- 2013: Seventeen bomb blasts in Hyderabad, India killed 17 people and injured 119.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1703: Shah Waliullah Dehlawi, an Islamic scholar.
- 1829: Ameer Minai, a 19th-century Indian poet.
- 1878: Mirra Alfassa, a spiritual guru, an occultist and a collaborator of Sri Aurobindo.
- 1894: Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar, an Indian colloid chemist, academic and scientific administrator.
- 1899: Suryakant Tripathi, Nirala, an Indian poet, novelist, essayist, and story-writer.
- 1924: Gulab Khandelwal, an Indian poet.
- 1911: Bhabatosh Datta, a noted Indian economist, academic, and writer.
- 1943: David Lawrence Geffen, an American business magnate, and co-founder of DreamWorks Pictures.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1677: Baruch Spinoza, a Dutch philosopher.
- 1829: Kitturu Chennamma, the Queen of the Nayakas of the kingdom of Kittur.
- 1965: Malcolm X, an African American Muslim minister, and human rights activist.
- 1991: Nutan, an Indian film actress.
- 1998: Om Prakash Bakshi, an Indian character actor.
- 2011: Dwayne McDuffie, an American writer of comic books.