February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 23 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 23. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 23 February:
- 1468: Euhen Gotenberg, who invented the printing machine, died.
- 1836: The Battle of the Alamo begins with the American settler army surrounded by the Mexican army under Santa Anna.
- 1886: American chemist and inventor Martin Hale discovered aluminum.
- 1886: The London Times begins publishing “the world’s first classified advertisement.
- 1895: Jaap Eden set a 10 km skating world record.
- 1904: For $ 10 million, the United States gains control of the Panama Canal Zone.
- 1905: Rotary International is established.
- 1940: Russian forces capture the island of Lasi near Greece.
- 1945: America hoists its flag on Japan-controlled island Evo Jima.
- 1947: International Standardization Organization, which sets the world standard.
- 1952: Employee Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act was passed.
- 1958: Argentina’s legendary Formula One driver Khuan Manuel Fangio is kidnapped by two men.
- 1969: Actress Madhubala died.
- 1970: Guyana became a country republic and today is declared as the national day of this country.
- 1981: Political uncertainty was created in Spain, when the right-wing army overthrew the administration.
- 2003: Davison of Canada broke Kapil Dev’s record made in 1983 with the fastest century of the World Cup.
- 2007: Pakistan tests Shaheen-2.
- 2014: The 22nd Winter Olympic Games concluded in Sochi, Russia.
- 2016: US primary election: Nevada Republican Donald Trump won with 45.9.5%.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1633: Samuel Pepys, an administrator of the navy of England and Member of Parliament.
- 1850: César Ritz, a Swiss hotelier.
- 1868: W. E. B. Du Bois, an American sociologist, writer, historian, and civil rights activist.
- 1876: Gadge Maharaj, an Indian mendicant-saint and social reformer.
- 1913: P. C. Sorcar, an Indian magician.
- 1969: Bhagyashree, an Indian actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1792: Joshua Reynolds, an English painter, specializing in portraits.
- 1855: Carl Friedrich Gauss, a German mathematician, and physicist.
- 1904: Mahendralal Sarkar, a Bengali medical doctor, social reformer, and propagator of scientific studies in nineteenth-century India.
- 1969: Madhubala, an Indian film actress.
- 2004: Vijay Anand, an Indian filmmaker, producer, screenwriter, editor, and actor.